Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Review Wanted: Diamonds Are Forever (James Bond)

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-01, 10:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just picked this up for really cheap.
Any word on its quality (video, sound, extras...)?
Old 11-27-01, 04:36 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
...what if I told you that the video was below average, the sound was dull, and the extras were minimal?... would you then try to sell this 'unsealed' on e-bay?...

...I just had to ask...

. . . . . .
Old 11-27-01, 08:10 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No. I don't sell things on E-Bay. If I don't like it, I'll give it to a friend. I paid a total of $12 for it.
Old 11-28-01, 11:38 PM

Both the audio and video are solid, but naturally not reference material. If you like the film this is probably the best presentation available. The video is quite clean and the dialogue can usually be easily understood. I had no complaints. The extras, like most of the Bond discs, is where the DVD shines. The commentary is very good and the making of is entertaining and shows how they lured back Connery. Also, the Cubby Broccoli documentary is one of the better secondary docs in the Bond set.

You didn't ask for a movie review, so I assume you have seen the film. If you liked it definitely keep it, you should be very pleased.

On the off chance you haven't seen it, you might as well open it and watch it then decide if you want to give it away. Though not a horrible film, it is one of the lesser Bonds (especially compared to the 1st 3 Connery films) but enjoyable in its own way.

Last edited by vasb; 11-29-01 at 09:17 AM.
Old 12-03-01, 10:29 AM

I said to myself, I want to complete my bond collection, got most of the films, just 4 to get, but Diamonds are forever is perhaps the worst bond film, but I also said to myself, if I could get it cheap, I would keep it, as its got some good things in it, humour, lacks the feeling of Bond, and Connery looks very old, he did it for the money, seems lazy for his last outing, a shame, but in my mind, he left bond after You Only Live Twice, and should of done on Her Majesty's secret service as the way to leave the series.

What I don't get with MGM, is the pricing of say all the Bond films pretty much the same, Pricing Goldfinger and say Goldeneye, or the Living Daylights, Licence to kill more is acceptable, but since Diamonds are forever is not as good as most of the Bond films, MGM should drop the price so some fans can complete their collection without feeling too gulity about paying the same price for a lesser film, but since you got it cheap, keep it if your a good bond fan, I'm only getting it if its cheap also.