DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Review Wanted: Marat/Sade

Old 11-08-01, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Review Wanted: Marat/Sade

I had heard the original Image release was awful. Today I stumbled across an MGM re-release in widescreen that came out in July 2001 (news to me!). Anyone have this?

Found this review that's pretty critical of the video/sound quality.

http://www.digitallyobsessed.com/sho...w.php3?ID=1472

Last edited by ehonauer; 11-08-01 at 10:59 AM.
Old 11-10-01, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I justed recieved this film from Netflix, they sent me the Image version...I haven't watched it yet, but when I do, I will comment on it. Unfortunately, I have no basis for comparison, as I have not seen the MGM version of the disc either.

Check back soon,

Dan
Old 11-11-01, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I watched part of this film last night on the Image release. I saw about the first 45 minutes, so if the picture itself changes greatly, this review will be inaccurate. From what I saw, the picture is pan and scan (which for this movie, suffers greatly. I felt that what I was watching was cropped horribly, moreso than usual. I guess many of the shots were framed to fit in the intended aspect ratio.) As for the picture, it appeared to be quite muted (though it may have been intentionally filmed this way, i don't know.) One thing that surprised me a lot was the severe lack of blemishes in the print. There were very very few nicks and scratches and the like. There are absolutely no extras, with the only menu being a chapter selection. The sound was also somewhat lacking. Dialouge was often difficult to understand.

I haven't seen, nor do I plan on seeing, the MGM version of this film, but the fact that it is in its OAR is enough to sway me to choose that one without a second thought.

Hope this helps,

Dan
Old 11-15-01, 05:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The review is up on DVDTalk here.

I hated hated hated the movie. If you are actually looking to buy it, you will obviously disagree with me on the quality of the film itself, but, but the DVD quality is really low, too.