Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Review Request: The Dinner Game

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-01, 07:35 PM
Suspended

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This film is french and is being re-made by the same director for the US market. It looks good, has anybody seen The Dinner Game? If so, how is it?

robert
Old 10-25-01, 10:10 PM

I own the DVD and am quite pleased with it. The transfer is quite a good and it is anamorphic (I believe). The sound is stereo or mono, but the dialogue is always quite clear.

The movie itself is very funny. It really is a classic French farce. Things start out slowly and soon build to absurd levels of confusion and stupidity. The story involves a rich snob who plays a dinner game every week in which he and his friends compete to see who can bring the biggest idiot to dinner. But soon, due to unforseen circumstances, he is dependant on his idiot to save him from some rather sticky situations. Not a great life changing film, but a very pleasant 90 minute diversion. Somewhat predictable, but things reach such a fevered pitch towards the end that you almost have to give yourself over to the film. My favorite scene involves "the idiot" posing as a movie producer and making a phone call on behalf on the snob, a very funny scene.

I would suggest renting the film instead of buying it. It is quite good, but not very rewatchable.
Old 10-26-01, 12:10 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,259 Likes on 837 Posts
This film is absolutely hilareous! A remake? grrrrrrrrrrr
Old 10-26-01, 02:51 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

"...A remake? grrrrrrrrrrr"

...yup! ...it's to be called Dinner For Shmucks and reportedly will star Steve Martin...

http://us.imdb.com/Title?0194812

FYI: a number of French writer/director Francis Veber's comedies have been remade in Hollywood, some by other directors (think The Birdcage), some by himself (think Three Fugitives)...

. . . . . .
Old 10-26-01, 08:39 AM

Originally posted by vasb
..My favorite scene involves "the idiot" posing as a movie producer and making a phone call on behalf on the snob, a very funny scene.

I would suggest renting the film instead of buying it. It is quite good, but not very rewatchable.
That's my favorite scene also!...Man that's funny!

IMHO, it's very rewatchable, maybe because I speak french