Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Review: Mummy Returns - early look

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Review: Mummy Returns - early look

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-01, 09:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"Mummy Returns" Early Look

I haven't gone through the extras, but the video/audio quality of Mummy Returns are as good as one would expect/hope. The image looked absolutely stellar. I saw virtually no concerns other than one tiny hair that popped up toward the end of the movie. Otherwise, sharpness was excellent, with no apparent signs of jaggies, edge enhancement or shimmering, and no grain or other print flaws existed (with the exception of that wee hair).

Colors stayed with a nice golden glow that fits the movie. Other hues also came across cleanly, and blacks were deep and rich. Lotsa dark scenes here, and they looked clean and accurate. No complaints here.

Also excellent was the Dolby Digital 5.1 track. Loud, clear, and powerful, the mix moves the movie like it should. All five channels got a strong work-out, and the audio seemed clean and distinct, with very good bass. Yes, it'd be nice to have DTS as well, but I thought this was a great track.

Many anticipate the eventual arrival of an "Ultimate Edition", and the supplements found here won't discourage such thoughts. I haven't been able to screen them, but I went through them and thought they seemed like less than the sum of their parts. The disc includes lots of separate pieces, but few seem substantial. I'll reserve judgment until I've checked out all of them, but right now I'm disappointed by the lack of depth.

Still, it looks like a good disc as a whole. The movie itself is presented in an excellent manner, so other concerns become less important...
Old 09-11-01, 09:12 PM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
Thanks for the early review.
Old 09-11-01, 09:32 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm still waiting for the Ultimate Edition
Old 09-12-01, 12:44 AM

I'm still waiting for the Ultimate Edition
Can't really blame you for that if you like extras. I hate to be cynical, but Universal definitely have made fans afraid to buy initial releases of DVDs - we all feel like something better will appear around the corner.

Based on old patterns, I would have said to go ahead and get this version of Returns now for it'd still be at least a year and a half before a new edition appeared. However, since the "uncensored" Klumps hit shelves a mere five months after the first one appeared.

That makes me more suspicious that a Returns UE could be out sooner than later. Add to that the fact that some of the UEs - Mummy, American Pie - appeared just in time to promote new movies will create appropriate suspicion that a Returns UE might hit shelves before Scorpion King arrives next year.

I have no idea if Universal will put out a UE of Returns, but it wouldn't exactly shock me. In fact, I'll be more surprised if they DON'T do this at some point, be it next spring or further down the road...
Old 09-12-01, 01:11 AM

I am just curious... how many people are gonna wait? so far we have at least two... Would you rather that the studio waited and put out just one version?

sorry if this is a little off topic...
Old 09-12-01, 03:54 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

...FWIW... I'm perfectly happy to wait until 3rd quarter 2005, by which time the second sequel - The Mummy Returns ... Again! - which is scheduled for US theatrical release in December 2004, will be added to make the Ultimate Three-Pak DVD set (all three movies will feature dts-ES 6.1 discrete soundtracks, of course!)...

. . . . . .

Last edited by Hendrik; 09-12-01 at 05:44 AM.
Old 09-12-01, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'll rent MR then wait to purchase the Ult Ed.
Old 09-12-01, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally posted by Lono
I am just curious... how many people are gonna wait? so far we have at least two... Would you rather that the studio waited and put out just one version?

As a consumer I would feel cheated if a studio withheld certain things just to make an Ultimate Edition. I don't think time is really an issue here, though it could be. But its likely there is stuff that could be on the disc that won't be. And that sucks if its true
Old 09-12-01, 01:48 PM
Banned

I will rent the initial release, then buy the UE when it's released for The Scorpion King (speculation, of course).
Old 09-12-01, 05:28 PM

No point in renting if I'm going to buy so I will wait for the UE. That goes the same for the JP sets as well.
Old 09-13-01, 12:44 PM

As much as i'd like to stand in unison and not buy this title.....my addiction forces me to purchase it and I'll probably have to sell it in a year to get the UE.
Old 09-15-01, 12:31 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I loved the first one but not enough to shell out the cash for the UE. I spent the money on buying something that I hadn't owned once already.

Since I thought The Mummy Returns was a few steps behind the first. . . I'm buying the upcoming disc and won't even give an UE a second glance.
Old 09-19-01, 04:49 AM
wiz
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

You know, looking at the extras and what not on the Mummy Returns DVD, and then looking at the extras on the Mummy UE, I have to say they come pretty close to one another.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...631759-5159133

Is for the Mummy Returns, looks like quite a bit of stuff for an initial release.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...631759-5159133

Is for The Mummy UE. Looks like the CE for MR will be pretty stacked compared to some other movies like the initial release of Spy Kids.

Just my opinion. I have the UE Of Mummy because I never bought the original when it came out. I will get the CE of MR because it seems like it has enough extras on it and I just want it.
Old 09-19-01, 02:54 PM

You know, looking at the extras and what not on the Mummy Returns DVD, and then looking at the extras on the Mummy UE, I have to say they come pretty close to one another.
Supplements listings for Mummy Returns are deceptive - there's a lot of junk and little gold. The commentary's excellent, and the visual effects featurettes are also very good. Otherwise, much of the remainder is promotional tripe.

Where the Mummy UE pulled away from the original and Mummy Returns was in regard to audio commentaries. The UE had three, and though the Brendan Fraser one was TERRIBLE, at least the effort was made. MR is largely just a big promotional package...
Old 09-29-01, 09:06 AM

I'm going to wait for the UE too. I wasted 20 bucks for the initial release of The Mummy, and there's no way of making the same mistake again.

Of course it's gonna be hard to see all the folks getting their pre-orders around now, especially since I really liked this movie, but I don't want to help Universal ripping off their customers.
Old 09-30-01, 08:01 PM

After seeing it in theaters, I knew that I wasn't going to pick it up on DVD. I liked The Mummy but the sequel was a disappointment. I got to see a look of the DVD on Friday and I have to say as a DVD is great. The animated menus are excellent. The extras are a plus. I was quite impress. To bad the movie does not equal the quality of DVD.
Old 09-30-01, 08:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'll probably just buy this one and ignore the Ultimate Edition. If enough of us adopt that frame of thought, then maybe the studio will realize that they're pretty much ripping people off (at least the hard-core fans who will 'need' to buy both versions).
Old 10-01-01, 10:02 PM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
I'm not sure what to do with this one. The movie was OK, when I first saw it, but am willing to give it a second chance.
Old 10-02-01, 12:30 AM
Cool New Member

Originally posted by Lono

Im waiting. These companies make me sick with all the scamming. Nobody should own 2 copies of the same movie, but we all do anyway. I want the UE because im sure it will have more commentaries. The thing is, they probably have all the material already. The whole Mummy UE was filled with promo junk on the next movie so they probably were working on the extras for Mummy Returns back then.

Im sure what theyre waiting for is more scorpion king crap to toss on there. So the only good thing out of making us wait is that we'll probably get a free ticket to Scorpion king, but personally id rather they just give us the UE right away.

-One Angry Kitty >_
Old 10-02-01, 11:50 AM

Originally posted by kittykatt

Im waiting. These companies make me sick with all the scamming. Nobody should own 2 copies of the same movie, but we all do anyway. I want the UE because im sure it will have more commentaries. The thing is, they probably have all the material already. The whole Mummy UE was filled with promo junk on the next movie so they probably were working on the extras for Mummy Returns back then.

Im sure what theyre waiting for is more scorpion king crap to toss on there. So the only good thing out of making us wait is that we'll probably get a free ticket to Scorpion king, but personally id rather they just give us the UE right away.

-One Angry Kitty >_<
What are you Hitler? Stalin? Why can't people own 2 copies of the same movie? I have 4 copies of some DVD's and you know what...I love it! I love using them for coaster's, mirrors, and yes little shiny Frisbee’s!

So I hope in your dictatorship you won't send the Waffen Muvie SS over to shoot me or confiscate my collection! Besides you can always use 6 or 7 set's of the Kubrick Collection....I do hear that the Extra Special Ultimate Edition is coming out, and it has a lock of Stanley's Kubrick ball hair in it! There should be lines around the corner store for that!!!
Old 10-02-01, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by ThunderBone
What are you Hitler? Stalin? Why can't people own 2 copies of the same movie? I have 4 copies of some DVD's and you know what...I love it! I love using them for coaster's, mirrors, and yes little shiny Frisbee’s!

So I hope in your dictatorship you won't send the Waffen Muvie SS over to shoot me or confiscate my collection! Besides you can always use 6 or 7 set's of the Kubrick Collection....I do hear that the Extra Special Ultimate Edition is coming out, and it has a lock of Stanley's Kubrick ball hair in it! There should be lines around the corner store for that!!!
Why don't you tell us how you really felt about that post Thunder??

-matt
Old 10-07-01, 08:13 PM
Banned

Mummy

I Wish I Would've Waited To Trade My Charlie's Angels For The Ultimate Edition Of The Original Mummy. I nstead I Traded For The Collector's Edition So I Have Both The Mummy & Mummy Returns CE. And I Guess I'm Gonna Get Both Ultimate Editions And Keep Them All And Then I'll Probably Buy Scorpion King Even Though I Think It Will Suck I'll See It Anywayz.
Old 10-07-01, 09:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I bought the SE and am not buying UE when it comes out. I don't care that much about the commentaries anyway. Of course it helped that i only paid $6 for the movie
Old 10-07-01, 10:30 PM

Originally posted by Cool Kitten
I bought the SE and am not buying UE when it comes out. I don't care that much about the commentaries anyway. Of course it helped that i only paid $6 for the movie
where did you pull that off? and how... enlighten us!
Old 10-08-01, 07:01 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

i just saw the mummy returns on dvd this weekend. ithought it was okay at best but not very good. the original mummy had a great sense of humo, didn't take it self seriously and was tremendous fun. This one was not nearly as much fun, the kid was a little annoying, the bad guys overall were not nearly as interesting or as fun this time, those bad guys in the beginning breaking into the tomb were terrible through out the movie. the only real good parts of the movie were two girls knife fighting in ancietn egypt, very sexy, and the bus chase scene. not enough brendan fraser who made the first movie such fun.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.