Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Review Wanted: Princess Bride SE

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-01, 09:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

While I'm holding for the best price, can someone give me their thoughts on this SE? Thanks.
Old 09-06-01, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

...here's TBP's review - which makes this release sound very tasty indeed!...

http://www.thebigpicturedvd.com/cgi-...pecial_Edition

. . .
Old 09-07-01, 12:25 AM

I watched it last night, the movie, and found it to be a typical MGM offering. The anamorphic enhancement is nice but there is debris, scratches, dust etc. Fleshtones are often on the orange side, especially in outdoor scenes. Shadow detail is average. There is noticeable edge enhancement, with a few halos present. Most review sites have given this transfer a B and I would have to agree. The extras look good and I will start on those this weekend. With an msrp of 29.95 one would have hoped for a better effort on the transfer. Oh well, its MGM after all.
Old 09-07-01, 02:59 PM

The Princess Bride SE was worth the wait! I thought the picture was solid, a really well done DVD, 16:9 enhanced. I thought the fleshtones were natural, edge enhancement looked minimal, this is a really nice picture! Sound is very good. "As you Wish" is a new documentary about 25-30 minutes, has most of the cast, they also include a 1987 "Making of..Feauturette, TVspots, 2 Traliers , and About a 4-5 minute Carey Elwes home movies thing. Photo Gallery (about 80 pics) is broken it down into groups. Also has 2 commentaries. Only saw the Rob Reiner, he is actually getting better, although there are some dead spots. There is 1 easy Easter Egg on the main Menu (Go to Play then hit your ^ button) I think this is well deserving of the Special Edition tag, even without having 2 discs. As for the Price, don't really know anybody that actually pays MSRP, it is easily worth the $20.

Last edited by Hulkaburger; 09-07-01 at 03:15 PM.