Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Review Request: 61*

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-01, 09:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
61*: any reviews yet?

Does anyone know of a review online yet for 61*, which streets next week?
Old 09-06-01, 08:53 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There aren't any reviews that I have seen yet. However, a prominent e-tailer sent out shipping confirmation on these yesterday (probably thinking the street date was the 4th, not the 11th), so people who ordered from that e-tailer should be able to comment on the disc by this weekend (if there are no reviews posted before then).
Old 09-06-01, 12:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Here's a review:

http://www.dvdmg.com/61.html

I have a question on this. I don't have HBO, and I ordered it sight unseen based on good reviews and the subject matter.

However, this was not a theatrical release and therefore has no MPAA rating. I can't get a feel for the language used, etc., from anything I've read. So, I was wondering if there is any content that may be inappropriate for youngsters? Doesn't seem like it would be that way, but since it was HBO I'm not sure.

Should I worry about playing this if my 7-year old is in the room?

Last edited by hondo21; 09-06-01 at 12:46 PM.
Old 09-06-01, 11:15 PM

Thank's hondo21,
I've been looking for a good review.

saintsfan
Old 09-06-01, 11:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by hondo21
Here's a review:

http://www.dvdmg.com/61.html

I have a question on this. I don't have HBO, and I ordered it sight unseen based on good reviews and the subject matter.

However, this was not a theatrical release and therefore has no MPAA rating. I can't get a feel for the language used, etc., from anything I've read. So, I was wondering if there is any content that may be inappropriate for youngsters? Doesn't seem like it would be that way, but since it was HBO I'm not sure.

Should I worry about playing this if my 7-year old is in the room?
It was rated TV-MA on HBO, which is the same as South Park. Really no offensive content, but some bad language, some alcohol abuse scenes. Seems kind of unnecessary but they threw in Mickey Mantle saying things like "I like when they have small hands...it makes my dick look bigger." So maybe not the best for the 7-year-old, but no offensive content really outside of language.
Old 09-13-01, 01:01 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've heard nothing but good things about this movie. I haven't seen it as I don't really care for cable movie channels. I'm still waiting to receive my disc from orderbox. I'll sure my thoughts after I give it a good spin.
Old 09-13-01, 08:16 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I'm not much of a baseball person, but I loved the film. There is some swearing/adult language, but no nudity/sex. I highly recommend it to anyone interested. I can't comment on the DVD tho, as I watched it on VHS at a friend's house.
Old 09-14-01, 09:21 AM

Just a follow up. I got my disc and watched on the weekend. I thought it was very well done. Very good video quality, great cinematography. Make sure to watch the "making of" documentary too. Billy Crystal did a great job.

As to the content, as noted above, there is some strong language. They use the "F" word probably a dozen or more times. I thought it was a bit excessive and unnecessary to the story, especially since this is a baseball story based on true events that some may have liked to share with their kids.
Old 09-19-01, 04:54 AM
wiz
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I agree that the language was probably a bit harsh, but if you think about it, it kind of makes the story more real. These are baseball players, and if you notice Mantle was the one that was going around swearing most of the time just for gits and shiggles, not to mention that he seemed to be the ladies man and didn't treat them with great respect. At the time people in NY loved Mantle, they thought he could do no wrong, so they always looked the other way when he did do something wrong. I felt the movie portrayed the time and the friendship of two of baseballs' greatest home run hitters perfectly, not to mention the acting was top notch.

I did feel that the movie got a little slow in the middle (around the 1 hour mark) but then again I did watch it after I had worked all night and spent all morning haggling with money, so I was tired and stressed out, but it was an excellent movie by BC, a definite addition to a baseball fan's collection.
Old 09-22-01, 12:51 AM

I really enjoyed it when i saw most of it on HBO, I love the DVD. The feature looks and sounds great and the "making-of", IMO, is nearly as good as the feature. I still have to listen to the commentary. Good DVD for a good price.
Old 09-23-01, 11:33 AM

saintsfan review:

Story Line *****
Picture Quality ****
5.1 Audio ***
Extras: NA, didn't have time to see
Worth purchasing: if you like baseball and know the story, this is a for sure one to own. Can be found for under $14.00.

saintsfan
Old 09-24-01, 01:21 PM

I watched this the other day and I hadnt seen it on HBO or anything....I really thought it was a good movie.

It really is great for baseball fans and non fans alike. I really think it was true to life and did not over glorify things....It had its ups and downs as life often does.

Yes there was some harsh language but you cant tell me they acted like angels. =)

I give it a terrific rating!