Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Total Recall SE gets bashed by DVD Angle!

DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Old 09-04-01, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think I'll skip this one.....

http://www.dvdangle.com/reviews/review.php?Id=1863
Old 09-04-01, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm keeping my order. Both http://www.dvdtown.com and http://www.dvdfile.com gave favorable reviews.
Old 09-04-01, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
DVD File gives everything a good review.
Old 09-04-01, 03:20 PM
JLB
DVD Talk Special Edition

I never bought the first one and have the new one on order.....

The whole review thing should be taken with a grain of salt.....One reviewer might call it great and one might say it sucks. But without detailed information stating the equipment used for the review and some kind of statement on the preferences of the reviewer, you cannot make an informed decision.

For instance, maybe the trashy video noted by dvdangle is based on the reviewers preference for over edge enhanced video instead of a slightly softer film-like appearance, etc.

Personally, I think you should buy the movies you love, and if you just can't stand the video/audio AFTER you have purchased it, then you can always sell or trade it.

Regarding TR SE, this will be the best presentation yet of one of my favorite movies, and previous incarnation of it is nothing. Never had it on home video of any format and finally look forward to having a nice OAR/5.1 presentation.
Old 09-04-01, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Excellent points JLB.

And besides, no matter how bad a DVD might be... its usually still better than VHS.
Old 09-04-01, 04:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

DVD Angle typically appears more critical of image quality than other sites. In fact, it seems that their subdued assessment of Sullivan's Travels's image transfer unfortunately proves to be a bit closer to actuality than the unqualified raves it received elsewhere make it out to be.
Old 09-04-01, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Sykes
DVD Angle typically appears more critical of image quality than other sites. In fact, it seems that their subdued assessment of Sullivan's Travels's image transfer unfortunately proves to be a bit closer to actuality than the unqualified raves it received elsewhere make it out to be.
Damn!
Old 09-04-01, 08:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Remember that reviewers are just people. Opinions are like @ssholes, everybody's got one.
You can always rent it first, then buy it.
Old 09-04-01, 08:42 PM

I just watched Recall tonight, and my own appraisal falls between that of DVD Angle and DVD File. I don't know why Angle's guy thought it was too dark; I found contrast/shadows to look solid and saw no problems related to excessive opacity. Colors were more than adequate, with no real problems, and sharpness was good, though I saw a smidgen of edge enhancement.

Print flaws WERE a moderate concern, at least during the first half of the film. The second half of the movie looked noticeably stronger across the board, with fewer flaws and greater depth as a whole. My review won't be up until Thursday, but I'm giving it a "B" for picture. Essentially, the first half's a "C+" while the second's an "A-".

As for the audio, I also thought it worked better than did the guy from Angle. For a track that predates Dolby Digital and DTS, it's quite active and involving, and it presented a solid soundfield. Audio quality was a little iffy at times - especially during the film's first half, when I heard some slightly distorted speech - but it usually sounded quite solid. Definite "B+" for sound, which borders on an "A-".

I've only gone through the "Imaging TR" documentary, but it's a fun piece. It's informative and entertaining - very solid.

Wish I still had the old DVD to compare, but it was my ex-girlfriend's; she - and the DVD - are long gone!
Old 09-05-01, 07:38 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Total Recall isn't exactly what I'd consider an old film. Thus, an excellent transfer shouldn't be too much to expect...
Old 09-05-01, 11:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 46 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally posted by chuckd21
DVD File gives everything a good review.

That is so funny I thought I was the only one that thought that. The case for the movie looks kind of cool. I will pick it up.
Old 09-06-01, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I watched this movie in the theatres. What I strikingly remember is that the lighting was very "flat" in many of the scenes, especially on Mars. Also, the film was somwhat soft - possibly representing the "dream" state that Quaid may have been in.
Old 09-06-01, 06:00 PM
Banned

i have the original release of TR and while not visually stunning (and no extras) i didn't have enough of a problem with it to waste $20 more for a new SE.
Old 09-06-01, 08:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Never spent the money to own this one before even tough I love the film. The SE can't be THAT bad so my order stays. I rarely trust anyone when they review a disc cause I've heard bad things and loved the disc or bought a highly reviewd disc and used it as a coaster.

If I ever doubt a film's quality on DVD it goes on the rental disc list.
Old 09-06-01, 11:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

***SPOILER***

Originally posted by JaxComet
Total Recall isn't exactly what I'd consider an old film. Thus, an excellent transfer shouldn't be too much to expect...
Ten years for film IS a long time. The Star Wars film was BADLY deteriorated in 20 years and it was kept in optimal temperatures and conditions. I doubt Total Recall was given that kind of treatment.

***SPOILER***

Anyway, I bought the disc and for $18.88 I liked it a lot. When I first saw the movie, I really didn't care for it. In fact, I ALWAYS missed the first 20 minutes of the movie so I thought it was just a cheesy action flick. After hearing Verhoeven's explanation of the movie, I appreciate it a lot more. Now I see the connection between Totall Recall and Blade Runner, which were both inspired by works of Philip Dick.

Compared with other "virtual reality" movies like Blade Runner: Director's Cut, The Matrix, and Dark City, I'd still put Total Recall at the bottom of that heap. But, now I see what they were trying to do with the film and it's pretty bold filmmaking.
Old 09-07-01, 01:02 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

dude
its ahnold

if you dont like arnold
your worthless

=P
Old 09-10-01, 03:43 PM
Banned

Ten years for film IS a long time. The Star Wars film was BADLY deteriorated in 20 years and it was kept in optimal temperatures and conditions. I doubt Total Recall was given that kind of treatment.

i disagree. while the film may have deteriorated, there is no excuse for not restoring it properly. look at ghostbusters from the early 80s or exorcist from 1973. those are two examples of excellent restorations that look new on dvd.
Old 09-12-01, 10:30 PM

Originally posted by MACD23

i disagree. while the film may have deteriorated, there is no excuse for not restoring it properly. look at ghostbusters from the early 80s or exorcist from 1973. those are two examples of excellent restorations that look new on dvd.

How about how good titles like Forbidden planet and Wizard of Oz, and Gone with the Wind. All of these still look great, this topic is something that I've always wondered about
Old 09-14-01, 07:41 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I wonder if this will be issued later in regular packaging. The goofy Mars tin is just horrible....
Old 09-17-01, 07:29 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I watched the new SE DVD over the weekend, and for the first 30 minutes or there are surprisingly a lot of specks and debris, almost annoyingly so, on the screen for a "newly remastered" transfer, though the 16x9 anamorphic transfer is solid the rest of the way. The 5.1 audio track is also very good.

The new 30 minute documentary has a lot of new talking head interviews with most of the principals, before and behind the camera, except that the two leading ladies Sharon Stone and Rachel Ticotin are both conspicuously absent, so we have to depend on 1989 interviews for their takes on the film.

The new commentary track is a very lively discussion between Arnie and Paul discussing everything from the history of getting the film made, on set anecdotes, what scenes where filmed on location in Mexico City vs. the studio, why certain actors were chosen for certain parts, the two possible interpretations of the film, how the film follows/diverts from Philip K. Dick's original story and technical information regarding how special effects created certain scenes using Blue screens, to models/miniatures, and puppeteering. There is almost no dead air on the commentary track, it's informative, and I found it enjoyable and entertaining.

cheers, Tony Block
Old 09-17-01, 07:53 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Re: Total Recall SE gets bashed by DVD Angle!

Originally posted by JaxComet
I think I'll skip this one.....

http://www.dvdangle.com/reviews/review.php?Id=1863
AND THEY JUST NAMED IT THEIR DVD OF THE WEEK TODAY!

http://www.dvdangle.com/dotw/index.html

and DVD journal just named it their Disc of the Week!

cheers, Tony Block

http://www.dvdjournal.com/

Last edited by Tony Block; 09-17-01 at 07:57 PM.