Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Review Wanted: The Fisher King

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-01, 07:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have this on VHS somewhere deep in the basement (with the rest of those old things) and I haven't seen it in a long time. Anyone out there have any comment about the DVD?
I remember this being a really dark comedy.
Old 09-03-01, 08:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Where the sky is always Carolina Blue! (Currently VA - again...)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I need to watch it again, but I didn't see it as being a very dark comedy with the possible exception of the beginning. More of a tragic comedy than a black comedy IMO.

DVD is bare bones, but anamorphic, and it's available via Columbia House (where I got mine).

I really want a Gilliam Collector's series with commentaries on each dvd. That would rule.

Tuan Jim
Old 09-04-01, 11:22 AM

I really want a Gilliam Collector's series with commentaries on each dvd.

Man, that would be great.

Fisher King is one of my favorite films. Deliriously funny and achingly heartbreaking at the same time, it is not to be missed. Also, it's one of the best Arthurian films out there. I don't really care for Excalibur, but Fisher King hits all of the right buttons for this Arthurian scholar (in the process of finishing my Master's degree in English Lit. and my thesis concerns King Arthur).

Actually, one of the only reasons I kept my old laserdisc player (and I'm glad I did) is because I had the original (unedited/unchanged) Star Wars films as well as the Criterion versions of Monty Python & The Holy Grail (with tons of extras!) and The Fisher King (with commentary from Gilliam along with deleted scenes, stills, casting/costuming videos and more!). I don't know why, but I have a feeling that Criterion's not going to do a DVD of The Fisher King. And I just can't bring myself to plunk down money on the barebones version that's out now.

As for other Gilliam commentaries on DVD, both the Criterion versions of Time Bandits and Brazil have them. Twelve Monkeys has some neat extras, but not a commentary It's really too bad, because Gilliam is a laugh riot to listen to - always insightful and full of British dry wit (even though he's American).
Old 09-04-01, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by talespinner
[B] Twelve Monkeys has some neat extras, but not a commentary
I dunno what you're thinking, but 12 Monkeys does in fact have a commentary track, and a right good one at that.
Old 09-04-01, 05:02 PM

Aghama,

You're right. That's what I get for taking a quick glance at the jacket and not popping the disc in. And I had listened to it when it came out and it was really good. Thanks for reminding me. I'm gonna listen to it again right now.

Any other Gilliam commentaries that you know of?

Thanks,

talespinner
Old 09-05-01, 02:40 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by Tuan Jim

I really want a Gilliam Collector's series with commentaries on each dvd. That would rule.

Tuan Jim
i hadn't thought of that, but that would kick-ass, although i wouldn't be happy about having to buy everything again. a commentary on Fisher King and Fear and Loathing would be great.
Old 09-07-01, 11:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Where the sky is always Carolina Blue! (Currently VA - again...)
There was a commentary on the version of F&L that I rented. I'd most like to see a commentary on "Adv. of Baron Munchausen" -- incredible movie. Really gets me.

Tuan Jim
Old 09-12-01, 06:43 PM

Fisher King and Baron Munchausen both desperately deserve a Special Edition (or whatever they call it) treatment... I am looking forward to Jabberwocky which is supposed to have a Gilliam commentary track... and while I hate having to buy things more then once... if these two (Munchausen and the Fisher King) get the treatment they so richly deserve... I would buy them again...

Munchuasen particularly? because I just finished reading "Loosing the Light" about the making of the film? and I know that there must be hours of additional material somewhere on this film?