Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Review: Blood: The Last Vampire **SPOILERS**

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Review: Blood: The Last Vampire **SPOILERS**

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-01, 01:37 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Blood: The Last Vampire **SPOILERS**

"Best anime ever", "Can't wait till it comes out on DVD". "This is a new standard for anime" Yep, that's what the anime fans have been saying about Blood: The Last Vampire. Guess what? The movie didn't live up to the hype. The movie was boring, with your typical no nonsense hero. We haven't seen that before!! I was glad this movie was only 44 minutes because it wasn't interesting. Saya, the main character, fights a lot of vampires in this movie though, a total of 4. That's right, 4. Pretty exciting huh??? If you want to see a kick ass vampire flick, go watch Blade. If you want to waste 44 minutes of your life, go watch Blood. The audio is very good. Takes advantage of 5.1, especially the first part, when Saya is in the train. Video is also good, very sharp and clear. Rent this movie first if you haven't seen it. Don't fall for the hype.
Old 08-30-01, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts
au contraire - almost every anime fan i've spoken too didn't like the movie - and none of them actually hyped it. Most of the hype has come from net casual viewers because, well, it's got some famous people behind it, is a known series (upcoming... games and books and whatnot), and has some famous people saying some famous things about it - other than that - the film is an atypical film. I mean, I liked it - great atmosphere, but the complete lack of plot hurts it quite a bit - that and it's too damn short. Anyway, as far as i'm concerned - it's just Manga's hype machine in action, they seem to do that pretty well. Blood isn't a good example of anime (very few anime movies actually are..generally the OVAs and Series that are where it's at) but is still nice to look at.

but each their own.

-Rich
Old 09-03-01, 08:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by RichC2
au contraire - almost every anime fan i've spoken too didn't like the movie - and none of them actually hyped it. Most of the hype has come from net casual viewers because, well, it's got some famous people behind it, is a known series (upcoming... games and books and whatnot), and has some famous people saying some famous things about it - other than that - the film is an atypical film. I mean, I liked it - great atmosphere, but the complete lack of plot hurts it quite a bit - that and it's too damn short. Anyway, as far as i'm concerned - it's just Manga's hype machine in action, they seem to do that pretty well. Blood isn't a good example of anime (very few anime movies actually are..generally the OVAs and Series that are where it's at) but is still nice to look at.

but each their own.

I don't know which anime fans you've been speaking to, but every anime fan I've talked to has said they liked the film. Granted, everyone has a beef with the running time - it needed to be a tad longer.

To each his/her own indeed, but there definitely are some fans of this anime out there. Not the best ever, but it's absolutely gorgeous to look at, and it gives a good taste of what is to come in the next few years from Japan. Exciting stuff!

-matt
Old 09-10-01, 08:47 AM

All I know is my friend bought this DVD the other night. It says on the back it has a running time of 83 minutes. We popped it in and just under 44 minutes later we were like, "WTF!?!?!?" SO then we watched all the extras. Total there is not even 70 minutes of footage on this disc, so 83 minutes my ass!!!

Also, the movie was not that good (though the animation itself was excellent), and it is not worth the $25 going price. ell, this P.O.S. isn't even worth a $15 price.
Old 09-14-01, 07:46 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'd have to agree that this disc is only useful for showing off your home theater. The story is very weak and the dialogue is awful. Some of the people doing the voices sound like they were just reading their lines......
Old 09-17-01, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally posted by raithen
Not the best ever, but it's absolutely gorgeous to look at,

-matt
Why did they draw the people like toad-mutants? Those were some of the ugliest drawings of people I've ever seen.

I picked this up for $14.99 when it came out at Best Buy and was pretty disappointed even at that price. I think it's going to go up for trade.