Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Fishing With John: Criterion Collection - review wanted

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-01, 02:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After reading about it a bit I think I finally realize what it's all about, and it seems kind of interesting, in a.....different way. Just wanted to know if anybody out there think it's enjoyable enough to buy.
Old 07-08-01, 02:44 AM

I have watched it twice with my wife. It is interesting, in a different sort of way. It was interesting to us because of his guests. The bits with Tom Waits and Willem DaFoe were the best, in my opinion. Haven't listened to the commentary yet... maybe someday. It's fairly reasonably priced, compared to other Criterions.
Old 07-08-01, 03:12 AM
Banned

Funny, I just got done watching this.

I like it, but bear in mind that I'm already a big John Lurie/Lounge Lizards fan (and I'm a fan of all the guests except Jarmusch). It's funnier than you might imagine, but it's more of a "chuckle" funny than a "bust a gut" funny. Commentary track is pretty good.
Old 07-08-01, 03:19 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Like strusinsk and Chumley1, I like Fishing With John. I agree with Chumley that it is more "chuckle" funny than bust a gut funny, but it holds up to repeated viewings. The Defoe segment is classic, and the commentary is interesting.

--Heather
Old 07-08-01, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Oh come on! Who didn't bust a gut during the Tom Waits segment???

"That can be the same fish. The other one's still in my pants."

This is one of my favorite discs, but it's definitely not for everyone. I advise renting it first, if you can find a place that has it. (I was shocked to find that the local Blockcuster has the DVD for rental.) I believe that they also show it on IFC.

jim
Old 07-08-01, 11:02 AM

Nah, no place around me (including rental) has it. I'll just buy it....it's relatively cheap, and sounds different and interesting. Thanks for the input!
Old 07-09-01, 07:38 AM

I enjoy it quite a bit, but the funny thing is I think the commentary is the best thing about it--- it was such a weird production, and the strenuous efforts that were put in to create such oddball mishmash half-hour shows, and the efforts to keep his guests from getting mad at him (which they always did) make the show with the commentary even funnier...wait till you see what stuff was faked and what stuff was real, too...if you haven't listened to the commentary yet, do it!
Old 07-09-01, 08:23 AM

Alright cool. I already orderd it (should be coming tomorrow along with two other Criterions), but thanks for making me feel a little bit more secure about my purchase.
Old 07-10-01, 06:17 PM

Loved it! Can't stand fishing shows. You should know that, because this is one of my favorite flicks. And yes, the commentary is tops.
Old 07-10-01, 06:31 PM

Nice! More positive views on FWJ. For such a strange show, it sure is nice to not have seen ANY negative feedback or reviews on it so far.
By the way, I tracked the shipment of my three Criterions and it's 10 miles away from my house! Oh well, I can wait another day.....unless it still comes this evening.........(goes to ups.com).....
Old 07-11-01, 12:14 AM

One more thing.

Don't be surprised if at odd moments you catch yourself humming "...fishing...with john..."

Now THAT my friend's is theme music!
Old 07-11-01, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

"Behold the river of men of men, behold the river of meeeeenn..."

"Think about it, how many fish have the opportunity to sample some of the finer cheeses?"

Old 07-21-01, 07:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This is so friggin' funny! I think its a certain type of humor that not everyone gets but I laughed until I cried hearing the things the narrator was saying. This is a great criterion!