Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Rocky Box Set Sucks

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-01, 01:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am hands down one of the biggest Rocky fans out there, I was extremely excited when the Box set came out and of course pre-ordered it. Starting with Rocky I watched them all. When I got to ROCKY IV I was very dissapointed, THERE ARE NO SUBTITLES FOR ANY RUSSIAN SPOKEN LANGUAGE. If you've see Rocky IV you'd know that this ruined the movie.

Jeff Shannon reviewed the Box Set for DVDtalk but I don't think he actually watched the movies or I'm sure the Review would not have been favorable, how could you recommend a movie that is incomplete and pratically unwatchable?

I wrote MGM and they said they are aware of the issue but won't have a replacement for 8-12 months. How crazy is that? Has anybody had any more success with this issue then me? I suggest someone change the DVDtalk review to reflect this to prevent anyone else from wasting there money as I did.

-mhmacgre
Old 07-08-01, 11:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

thanks for the review i was about to buy that set
Old 07-09-01, 12:00 AM

I'm actually really torn... I'm about to either buy the Rocky VHS set or the DVD set. I really really really don't want to buy the VHS set, but I want those subtitles. I just can't decide what to do... however, can anyone verify that MGM DOES plan on replacing the discs? Or making new versions of the set available? That would make my decision much easier, or at least make me wait.
Old 07-09-01, 09:04 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Disappointing, I was planning on getting it.
Old 07-09-01, 01:28 PM

Response from MGM

Here is the response I recieved from MGM when I wrote there Customer Service:
----------------------------------------
Thank you for your interest in MGM Home Entertainment.

We are aware of the subtitle problem with Rocky IV and will be issuing
replacements, however, the target date is approximately 8 to 11 months from
now.

Please check back with us sporadically to see if we have a definite date
set in the future.

We do apologize for the inconvenience.

Thank you,

MGM Home Entertainment
Customer Service Support
------------------------------------------

I have since written back asking what will be needed to recieve the replacement. If the response is interesting I will post it.
Old 07-12-01, 02:46 PM

i was just about to buy this title so thanx boyz,

is the region 2 verison the same?
Old 04-10-02, 12:09 PM

MGM Redemption

I'm very happy to post to this thread again... today, just 1 month short of a year after contacting MGM about the defects in the Rocky Box Set (no subtitles in Rocky IV) I have finally heard back from them with a solution for replacing the defective DVD. They are taking care of it and providing the shipping label, etc to me to send the defective back for exchange. Although slow I congratulate them on following through with this issue. Below is the text from the email I recieved:

----
MGM apologizes for any inconvenience that the defective Rocky IV DVD may have caused you. We want to make
returning the defective order and
providing you the replacements as easy as possible. If you email us back
with your address we will be able to email you an UPS PRE-PAID Shipping
Label and instructions to help you get your copy of Rocky IV back to us
for exchange.

Please be advised that your replacement DVDS will be sent within 4 to 6
weeks from the receipt of your return. Should you have any questions or
concerns in the meantime, feel free to contact us.
----

I hope this thread has helped others.
Old 04-10-02, 12:19 PM
Banned

What's the e-mail address to contact MGM?!!!
Old 04-10-02, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

[email protected]

MGM customer service asks that you to list the DVD in error along with a brief description. Along with your name, address and phone number in an email.

You can call them 001-877-646-4968 and explain your problem.

I spoke to Matt and he said he'd email me a return delivery at their expense address label. All I would need to do is mail the defective DVD back to them.

I found out this information by using google.com and by going to their web site.
Old 04-10-02, 06:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I never bought the box set, but I did buy Rocky I and love every minute of it. The commentary was very good also, I learned alot about the movie and how it was made.

Does Rocky IV that you by itself have the same problem as the one that is in the box set?

Last edited by Iron_Giant; 04-10-02 at 07:00 PM.
Old 04-10-02, 11:21 PM

Received 112 Likes on 91 Posts
So is MGM going to be replacing the Rocky Box Sets in stores that have the defective Rocky IV disc?
Old 04-11-02, 07:48 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Geofferson
So is MGM going to be replacing the Rocky Box Sets in stores that have the defective Rocky IV disc?
No they will not replace any store related discs that I'm aware of unless you call them and arrange to swap out Rocky IV discs.
Old 04-11-02, 07:49 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Iron_Giant
I never bought the box set, but I did buy Rocky I and love every minute of it. The commentary was very good also, I learned alot about the movie and how it was made.

Does Rocky IV that you by itself have the same problem as the one that is in the box set?
Yes unless its a newer version.
Old 04-11-02, 08:17 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,984 Likes on 2,035 Posts
What does MGM have against using burned-in subtitles when appropriate?

Remember the Spinal Tap fiasco?

(I actually still have my defective This is Spinal Tap DVD from MGM. I already have the proper Criterion DVD so I have the version with the subtitles, and decided to keep the MGM one because it just sort of seemed fitting.)
Old 04-11-02, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Josh-da-man
What does MGM have against using burned-in subtitles when appropriate?
MGM used to have a nasty habit of removing any burned in subtitles before mastering to DVD... then they would use the DVD players subtitle stream to put the text back.

This was supposedly to make it easier for foreign language versions of the film -- no distracting English text on the screen if you are watching the film in French.

Aside from the fact that I have never once heard anyone complain about having English text on screen during an English movie... MGM also had a habit of forgetting to put the subtitles back after removing them (Rocky IV, Spinal Tap, several of the Bond films).

This issue also altered some films fairly significantly (like the subtitled conversation joke in Annie Hall, or the opening crawl during The Terminator... which was replaced by subtitles in Region 2).

Bascially, they seemed to be making problems for themselves trying to solve an "issue" that no one was complaining about in the first place. Strange.
Old 04-11-02, 12:10 PM

So I take it that there is a Rocky IV avaialble now in stores that does contain the original subtitles. Does this new version have a different UPC conde; how can we distinguish it from the version without subtitles?
Old 04-13-02, 12:34 AM

Originally posted by mijang
So I take it that there is a Rocky IV avaialble now in stores that does contain the original subtitles. Does this new version have a different UPC conde; how can we distinguish it from the version without subtitles?
i don't think there is a replacement disk.
Old 04-13-02, 08:25 PM

After reading this thread last night, went and checked my R2 boxset.
Can confirm R2 version suffers from same problems with the subs, or lack of them.
Always wondered why this was recalled, now i know.
Old 04-14-02, 06:56 PM

Actually, I bought the set, not based on this review, but that is the only way to get the movies, other than the first one, and Rocky III has never been previously released. I was entertained by all of the movies, except the 5th was average at best

Later
Old 04-15-02, 12:58 PM
Cool New Member

I havent bought the box set yet, but I do own a Rocky IV dvd, which i purchased a couple of years ago. It does have the subtitles...so i guess i could just swap the old one for the new one in the box set if need be