Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Review wanted: Logan's Run

DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Review wanted: Logan's Run

Old 07-05-01, 10:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have never seen this movie. Is it pretty good sci-fi? There's also 2 DVDs up for sale ...which is the better one? Thanx G
Old 07-05-01, 12:06 PM
Banned

Location: Right now, my location is DVDTalk, but then again, you should already know that, shouldn't you?
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Both DVDs are identical, except for different packaging. The Warner packaging features a nicer image (the original 1-sheet poster art), but the MGM version doesn't come in a flimsy Snapper. As far as the worth of the movie, it's great. It can be appreciated as cheesy camp, or as a superb allegory, depending on how you wish to approach the material. As far as the worth of the DVD, I can only offer that I have never seen or purchased the DVD since the Deluxe Edition LaserDisc features all the extras on the DVD, plus many more. For your purposes, having never seen the film before, the DVD should work just fine...
Old 07-05-01, 03:43 PM

I have the MGM version of Logan's run. I really do like this movie. The DVD has a great featurette of the making of the movie. This movie is really a movie of it's time. I have yet to listen to the commentary but plan to. It is a must have for any Science Fiction collection. I don't know about the other studio release of this movie but the one I have is pretty darn good.
Old 07-06-01, 06:38 PM

It's not good sci-fi like 2001:ASO, or good sci-fi like Blade Runner, or good sci-fi like Aliens. That is, it's not really thought-provoking and intellectual, it doesn't have outstanding visuals or a great story, nor does it have wall-to-wall action. IMO, it's pretty campy 70's sci-fi that you should probably rent or borrow before buying. I mean, 10 bucks is still 10 bucks, and there are better movies out there for 10 bucks, IMO.
Old 07-06-01, 07:13 PM
Banned

Location: Right now, my location is DVDTalk, but then again, you should already know that, shouldn't you?
Originally posted by Stats:
That is, it's not really thought-provoking and intellectual

This is false--this movie is a fascinating take on age issues, and society's unfortunate tendency to worship eternal youth and look down upon the elderly.

it doesn't have outstanding visuals

This is false--LOGAN'S RUN won the 1976 Academy Award for Visual Effects. Comparing it to STAR WARS, EPISODE I or THE MATRIX would yield disappointing results, but considering its age, the effects are quite imaginative.

or a great story

This is potentially false--of course, this is a subjective opinion, but the movie did spawn a TV series and two sequel novels, which is unlikely if the story was inherently weak. Additionally, even after 25 years, it still stands up as an entirely unique story--do you recall any sci-fi film that has tried to tackle the issues covered in LOGAN'S RUN? COCOON, maybe, and that's reaching. Lastly, plans are in the works for an updated version of this film--an unlikely pursuit if the original story was weak.

nor does it have wall-to-wall action

This is true, but for a 70s movie, it's pretty action packed. Actually, this type of film seems to be a dying art form--the kind of movie that mixes equal parts action and thought-provoking sci-fi.

Come on, dude, give LOGAN's RUN its props!
Old 07-06-01, 07:50 PM

People like to poke fun at Logan's Run by saying it looks dated compared to Star Wars which came a year later. What they fail to realize, however, is that Logan's Run, is the superior film. Logan's Run, although not perfect, is an intelligent film and it has a heart; it packs an emotional punch and is quite thought provoking. Conversely, does Star Wars make you think?

Logan's Run is a feast for the eyes with it's colorful sets and costumes and excellent cinematogratphy. The DVD looks gorgeous, and Jerry Goldsmith's superb score sounds great in 5.1 (although it does gets a bit bright on the top end). The underrated Michael York and Jenny Agutter shine in their roles. Logan's Run is, unfortunately, underrated, but the proof of how great a film it is lies in just how powerful, moving, and applicable it remains today.
Old 07-09-01, 03:42 PM

OK Filmmaker, I'll give it another shot. I watched it awhile ago and all I could think about after it was over was how cheesy it was - I mean, what's up with Box?! What's up with the Logan's spinning, holographic heads?! But I'll give it another shot! I did use 2 "IMO"'s in my review, acknowledging that other's might (and clearly do) have differing opinions.
Old 07-11-01, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 926 Likes on 567 Posts
I would suggest renting it first unless you can get it for really cheap.

I own the MGM release & this is one of the first DVDs I bought when I got my player but let's get real...this movie is no Star Wars.

I have nostalgia for it since I watched it dozens of times as a kid. The effects are cheesy & it is amazing to think that Star Wars came out the next year pushing effects to the next level. The story & acting are also cheesy but better than some of the Star Trek films.

The commentary is very interesting & funny and it appears that Michael York is having a great time watching the film again. The featurette is a decent "puff piece" that was released when the film originally came out in 1976. There is also an 8 page booklet in the MGM version with minor production notes & trivia. It also includes the trailer.

So...should you buy it? If you are under 25 years of age, I would definitely suggest renting it. If over 25, it provides some great memories. Mmmmm....Farrah Fawcett-Majors!!!!
Old 07-11-01, 08:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,360 Likes on 1,004 Posts
Did the WB version keep the commentary?
Old 07-12-01, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 376 Likes on 240 Posts
Does the DVD include the unedited version of the movie (the one with the scene in the Sex Shop, and the one which has the later brief nude scene when Agutter strips down) or not?
Old 07-13-01, 01:51 PM
Banned

Originally posted by kenbuzz:
Does the DVD include the unedited version of the movie (the one with the scene in the Sex Shop, and the one which has the later brief nude scene when Agutter strips down) or not?

Yes, the film includes all the aforementioned exposed flesh and, milo bloom, I'm 95% sure that the DVD did keep the commentary track from the LaserDisc...
Old 07-14-01, 07:35 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Just wanted to chime in here. I've always liked Logan's Run. It's well done and very well acted by an enthusiastic cast. Aside from the previously mentioned York and Agutter, Peter Ustinov and the late Richard Jordan also do terrific jobs. The effects *are* dated but they were state of the art at the time and IMHO it doesn't detract from the execution of the film since it's actually more of a story driven film than an effects heavy flick.

BTW, the commentary with Michael York must be one of the most underrated of all time. He comes across as a very affable and sharp fellow and he seems to be having as much fun watching the movie as the viewer is. On a funny note, he seemed to have forgotten Jenny Agutter's more or less buck nude scene (she's an exceptional beauty who was all of 18 I think at the time) in the ice cave because there's a sharp intake of breath and he says something like "oh Jenny..." then he collects himself and comments to the viewer "well, there you go!"
Old 07-18-01, 11:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

If I were to peruse ebay or half.com for a used copy, would it be worth my trouble to get the MGM version for the booklet? The other extras are identical right?

tks
Old 07-19-01, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 926 Likes on 567 Posts
Originally posted by milo bloom
If I were to peruse ebay or half.com for a used copy, would it be worth my trouble to get the MGM version for the booklet? The other extras are identical right?

tks
I think that the other extras are exactly the same. I just looked over my booklet to give you a description of what's in it. The first page is a "Letter from the Director." There are then 2 pages of production notes called "Riding the Carrousel." Then 2 more pages of trivia & info. Last page is the scene selections. I personally do not think it would be worth paying a lot more for the MGM booklet but I still see the MGM version from time to time in places where DVDs sell slowly... like music stores.
Old 07-21-01, 07:19 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Logan's Run

If you liked the original planet of the apes you will like Logan's Run.
I really liked the scenes in pota (destroyed New York) and Logan's Run (destroyed Washington D.C.). Both had to escape their captors in search for the truth.
Old 07-21-01, 11:19 PM

Okay, these are all great replies, but I didn't find what I'm looking for. Just saw this for $11 at Wherehouse, and almost bought it on the spot. But since the sale lasts till the end of the month, I decided to check here first. I think the movie is a classic, and the commentary and documentary seem to make it a sure thing, but tell me... what's the video quality like? I know it's an old film and all that, but all things considered, is it okay? I just remember last time I bought a new DVD for a rock-bottom price (Highlander), the video quality was VHS-quality or worse....

Speaking of 70's classic sci fi, when oh when is Soylent Green coming!!!
Old 07-22-01, 12:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by KingTutankhamen
Okay, these are all great replies, but I didn't find what I'm looking for. Just saw this for $11 at Wherehouse, and almost bought it on the spot. But since the sale lasts till the end of the month, I decided to check here first. I think the movie is a classic, and the commentary and documentary seem to make it a sure thing, but tell me... what's the video quality like? I know it's an old film and all that, but all things considered, is it okay? I just remember last time I bought a new DVD for a rock-bottom price (Highlander), the video quality was VHS-quality or worse....

Speaking of 70's classic sci fi, when oh when is Soylent Green coming!!!
Ooh, I don't have Logan's Run yet, but that Highlander disc is infamous for being the worst DVD ever made. Don't let the price fool you on cheap discs though, there are some bargain discs out there that can be good.
Old 07-23-01, 01:09 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by KingTutankhamen

I think it was in the bargain bin because it's been out for a while and it's a WB (MGM/Turner) release that was probably cheap to begin with. When I started buying DVD's (and before I became familiar with the much-beloved institution known as the Columbia House DVD Club) I must have bought about 10 DVDs at Wally World for 15 bucks or less...all WB and all perfectly good. IMHO, the transfer is as good as I've seen Logan's Run anywhere. It's not perfect but it's a good, solid job for a WB catalog title and a 70's film.
Old 07-26-01, 03:58 PM
Banned

plus you get to see Jenny Agutter naked(well, not fully).
Old 07-26-01, 05:24 PM

I went ahead and bought the DVD, $11.99 at Wherehouse till the end of the month. It looks great (for an old movie).