Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Review Wanted: Ghostbusters 2

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Review Wanted: Ghostbusters 2

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-01, 09:59 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I definately plan to pick up Ghostbusters: SE soon, especially since its loaded with extras. But while I'm at it, I'm wondering - is Ghostbusters 2 worth picking up as well? I see there's almost no extras on the disc at all. Thoughts?
Old 06-25-01, 10:07 AM

I cannot comment on the disk itself, but I thought the movie was awful.
Old 06-25-01, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I cant comment on the DVD, but the film is lame beyond words. If you havent seen it then maybe a rental is in order.

If you have and like it then maybe you can pick the DVD up cheap somewhere, dont pay full price for this turkey.
Old 06-25-01, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
The first movie is a must, but I agree with the others about the sequel. Just a rip-off of the first one with all the good stuff missing. It's one of the most disappointing movies I've ever seen. 2 maybe 3 laughs in the entire thing. I didn't even like the FX as much as in the original.
Old 06-25-01, 07:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well I would call Ghostbusters II one of the greatest films of all-time and I'm not kidding. But that's a matter of taste. Never understood why people bashed the sequel...it's just like the original. If you liked the original (and who didn't?), then I have no idea how you could not actually like the second. It was a feel-good film, with comedy, suspense, and everything good. I have a difficult time determing which is better, the original or the sequel. As to the DVD, the 2.35:1 anamorphic widescreen transfer looks amazing but unfortunately, not much in the way of extras. It wouldn't be unlikely for Sony to re-visit the movie as it is a favorite among many people, and it certainly deserves the Collector's Series treatment that the original got. Nevertheless, it will be a while before an SE is re-released, so I'd recommend getting the DVD. The movie is excellent, and it looks and sounds great. Extras: trailers, filmographies. It's not very expensive either, so I'm sure you could pick it up for under $20. Better yet, go for the 2-Pack, it retails for something like $40, so you could find it for around $30 likely.
Old 06-26-01, 01:51 AM
Banned

Originally posted by LBPound23
Well I would call Ghostbusters II one of the greatest films of all-time and I'm not kidding.
You need to be commited.
Old 06-26-01, 03:12 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

"...I would call Ghostbusters II one of the greatest films of all-time..."

...sure... whatever!...

. . .
Old 06-26-01, 03:58 PM

While not the greatest of all time, it does have it's merits. I hated the movie for the longest time... it was played on HBO almost daily when I was in high school, constantly thwarting my efforts to find something good to watch. Then when I went to college my roommates finally convinced me to watch it again and I have to say it *can* be an enjoyable film. There are decent gags and Bill Murray is a riot. He obviously doesn't care and is just himself and it shows. The bit where he's taking pictures of Vigo's portrait is classic Murray over-the-top humor, and the intro where he's doing a show with psychics is genius.

So hey, I understand people hating the movie, but give it a chance. There's too many other really bad movies with absolutely nothing going for them to call G2 the worst movie ever made.
Old 06-26-01, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 46 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally posted by LBPound23
Well I would call Ghostbusters II one of the greatest films of all-time and I'm not kidding. But that's a matter of taste. Never understood why people bashed the sequel...it's just like the original. If you liked the original (and who didn't?), then I have no idea how you could not actually like the second. It was a feel-good film, with comedy, suspense, and everything good. I have a difficult time determing which is better, the original or the sequel. As to the DVD, the 2.35:1 anamorphic widescreen transfer looks amazing but unfortunately, not much in the way of extras. It wouldn't be unlikely for Sony to re-visit the movie as it is a favorite among many people, and it certainly deserves the Collector's Series treatment that the original got. Nevertheless, it will be a while before an SE is re-released, so I'd recommend getting the DVD. The movie is excellent, and it looks and sounds great. Extras: trailers, filmographies. It's not very expensive either, so I'm sure you could pick it up for under $20. Better yet, go for the 2-Pack, it retails for something like $40, so you could find it for around $30 likely.

I am with you again. I think we may be related. Scary our taste are the same. Most of my friends like it as well never understood the hating either. Oh well. Oscar you poor poor child.