Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Review Wanted: Proof of Life

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Review Wanted: Proof of Life

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-01, 12:08 AM
Suspended

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I didn't see this when it was in the theaters.. what's it like? What's the story about exactly and is it any good? I don't mind spoilers

Also what's the dvd itself like.. like sound quality and extras and all that stuff?
Old 06-20-01, 03:08 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

...go here:

http://www.dvdmg.com/proofoflife.html

. . .
Old 06-20-01, 12:37 PM

It is a good movie (well, for me). I didn't yawn when I was watching this movie. I was entertained and impressed. I suggest you better buy it if you like thriller movie.
Old 06-21-01, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Great movie to watch on DVD

This is a great DVD movie. My wife and I rented it last night.

The movie was very well acted and the theme of the movie scared me because I am taking my family to Mexico in a month. People really do get kidnapped. Thank goodness I am not rich.

Watch the "Making of" the movie. I learned how hard it is to make a movie in another country. The rain, snow, mountains, roads and riots gave the director, film crew and actors unique problems to overcome. This made me have more respect for those who make movies.
Old 06-22-01, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I bought the dvd recently. I thought it might be crap, but I bought it anyway, just for something to watch.

I must say, the movie, just as it is quoted on the top of the dvd, is one the good movies of last year. Maybe its just me, but I found to mercenary soldiers going to battle in a foreign country to do a search and rescue to be very entertaining. As far as the dvd goes, good stuff.

MOVIE: 8/10
VIDEO: 9/10
AUDIO: 9/10
EXTRAS: 6/10
Old 06-22-01, 09:42 PM

Hey, you have the same taste of movie like I do Your rating is same as mine Movie 8/10

Originally posted by filmguy
I bought the dvd recently. I thought it might be crap, but I bought it anyway, just for something to watch.

I must say, the movie, just as it is quoted on the top of the dvd, is one the good movies of last year. Maybe its just me, but I found to mercenary soldiers going to battle in a foreign country to do a search and rescue to be very entertaining. As far as the dvd goes, good stuff.

MOVIE: 8/10
VIDEO: 9/10
AUDIO: 9/10
EXTRAS: 6/10
Old 06-22-01, 10:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The 20 minute climatic action sequence is great! If you like that paramilitary stuff, then you should love this part of the movie. The rest of the film is solid but nothing special. For some reason, it reminds me of a macho Tom Clancy thriller mixed with a chick flick.
Old 06-24-01, 07:18 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

ariken - Cool.... Hey, uh, you wouldn't happen to be a mercenary soldier for the Kwai-Pek Coalition, would you?
Old 06-24-01, 07:20 AM

Yes, I was there *cough*

Originally posted by filmguy
ariken - Cool.... Hey, uh, you wouldn't happen to be a mercenary soldier for the Kwai-Pek Coalition, would you?
Old 06-26-01, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

It was pretty good when I saw it in the theater. Its about a man who rescues people out of kidnapp situations, and where the whole thing becomes a hustle show, since all the kidnappers want is mnoey and the rescuer wants "proof of life."
Old 06-26-01, 03:53 PM

Have to agree with posts here. Most of the reviews I read of the movie when it was in the theater were negative so we didn't go see it. It was definitely a solid rental though. The ending was very cool. It probably was 15-20 minutes too long, dwelling on the emotion a bit too much for my (male) tastes. The only thing separating this from a straight to video release starring Treat Williams and Mare Winningham is the big names Crowe and Ryan, but that just goes to show that big names and good performances can save a film.

As a bonus David Caruso *isn't* an annoying prick. For once.

Thumbs up.
Old 06-26-01, 04:45 PM

it's a good under rated movie. it came out at the time that meg ryan-russell crowe affair was big news. hollywood seems to protect its own and dennis quaid is hollywood, hence mostly bad reviews. also, david caruso always gets bad reviews (i loved jade) and that didn't help either. you should give it a try!!!
Old 06-27-01, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I didn't like this one at all. It's the usual hollywood garbage and Russell Crowe really seems to be slipping as of late.