DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

anchor bay suggestions

Old 05-16-01, 12:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am contemplating getting either Deep Red, Tennebrae, or Phenomena all the anchor bay releases. however I am only getting them one at a time. Out of these three anyone have an suggetsions as to which one is the best (in both movie content and dvd quality).
Old 05-18-01, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I would buy them in the order that you have them listed above. Deep Red is the best film and has a very nice transfer...
Old 05-18-01, 01:05 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

DEEP RED is Argento's best film and has the best transfer and supplements.
Old 05-18-01, 01:25 PM

DON'T ORDER YET!!!

Don't buy it yet. Wait for the 2-DVD pack out to come this July 10, this is a much cheaper than the indivudual title. Here it is:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...319966-3791738

and this

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...319966-3791738

Old 05-18-01, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I would take Maryang Palad's suggestion if you also want to own Inferno. I personally don't think much of Inferno but there were a few good scenes. To start with just one...get Deep Red. Don't forget Argento's The Bird With the Crystal Plummage from VCI.
Old 05-19-01, 02:12 PM
Banned

phenomena - awesome movie
deep red - not so great, sometimes ok movie
tenebre - sucks
Old 05-19-01, 06:54 PM

garmonbozia writes, "Don't forget Argento's The Bird With the Crystal Plummage from VCI."

Actually, you should forget it...for now. VCI srewed this release up and have said that they are planning a remaster in the future. The letterbox bars are striped with two different shades of grey; during one scene, previously edited shots have been reinserted in the wrong order; and the bonus soundtrack feature is completely worthless since it was mastered very poorly and with mucho distortion from an old vinyl release. The major glitch with this extra feature is that only one of the sountrack's stereo channels made it onto the DVD! Some songs are missing half the instrumentation.

As for the Anchor Bay titles, definitely wait for the 2-packs. For what it's worth, many (including myself) consider INFERNO to be one of his best films. The DVD is certainly one of the best looking of the bunch.
Old 05-20-01, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Sartana
Actually, you should forget it...for now. VCI srewed this release up and have said that they are planning a remaster in the future. The letterbox bars are striped with two different shades of grey; during one scene, previously edited shots have been reinserted in the wrong order; and the bonus soundtrack feature is completely worthless since it was mastered very poorly and with mucho distortion from an old vinyl release. The major glitch with this extra feature is that only one of the sountrack's stereo channels made it onto the DVD! Some songs are missing half the instrumentation.
I read about this when the disc first came out, but by the time I got around to buying it, I couldn't find anyone who could answer my question about what was wrong with the disc. Not having seen the movie before, I didn't really notice anything that seemed messed up. Can you describe what scenes are wrongly inserted? Thanks.
Old 05-20-01, 05:46 PM

Unless this disc has been quietly remastered, the letterboxing screw up alone should be very noticable. The incorrectly edited scene occurs during one of the murders where the killer slices off the panties of his victim before killing her. There are a couple of shots that have been shuffled around, so it now appears that the killer holds the sliced underwear up in the air before he actually cuts them off. I could live with that it weren't for the two-tone letterbox matte, which is extremely distracting and makes the film almost unwatchable for those without a 16x9 set. When this disc was first release there were many who suggested turning down the brightness control until the entire matte was black, but for obvious reaons that seemed like a completely absurd solution to the problem.

I'll be very happy if you tell me that these problems have been fixed.