Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Review Wanted: Lord of the Flies (Criterion)

DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Review Wanted: Lord of the Flies (Criterion)

Old 05-08-01, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This film has been reviewed before, but I would like to get some new insights of this old masterpiece, since I just got it as a present from my girlfriend last night.
Old 05-08-01, 11:27 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I enjoyed watching it, but it's not one of Criterion's best efforts. For those who've read the book and haven't seen the movie, it sticks closely to the book.
Old 05-09-01, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

An amazing film and I felt the emotions of the characters in the book were actually depicted quite well in the film - which is no easy feat, in my opinion. I think you're really dealing with two aspects when veiwing LOTF; the story and how each main character is dealing with the situation within themselves as well as with the entire scenario, and with the haunting camera work and intensity of the director's realization of the story. I feel like I just ran 5 miles after I finish watching it.

The documentary on its making is almost as engrossing as the film itself. I could go on for hours, and I definitely view this Criterion disc as one of the stand-out pieces in my collection.
Old 05-09-01, 04:27 PM

naitram: For the life of me, I can't remember what your signature quote is from! What movie was it again?

On a related note, I enjoyed Lord of the Flies CC - almost as much as I enjoyed the novel. I think the director, producers, and actors do a wonderful job of recreating as much "magic" as possible in a book-to-movie adaptation.
Old 05-09-01, 05:28 PM

You may be interested to know that at least in the NYC market, PBS will be showing the premiere of a documentary about Brook returning with some of the principals to the shooting location of Lord of the Flies. Here is the info from the PBS.org site:

SATURDAY, MAY 19
9-10:35pm CINEMA THIRTEEN -- Lord of the Flies (1963) -- D: Peter Brook. (Encore)
10:35-11:35pm TIME FLIES -- In 1963, Peter Brook directed the film adaptation of William Golding's popular novel LORD OF THE FLIES, a scathing social commentary about "the beast" in all of us. This program documents Brook's 1996 trip, with the film's principal actors, back to the island where the film was shot. (Premiere)
Old 05-09-01, 06:10 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally posted by BartleyR7
naitram: For the life of me, I can't remember what your signature quote is from! What movie was it again?
None other than James Cameron's Aliens.
Old 05-10-01, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I watched this amazing film yesterday, and I must admit that the film was a great adaptation of the book. I am happy to have this one in my collection, even though I do not own the book. Thank you for your thoughts guys.
Old 05-10-01, 08:07 PM

Not trolling.

I just thought the acting was really bad. Almost as if intentional. Made it very hard for me to take it seriously.