Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Almost famous second thoughts?

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Almost famous second thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-01, 06:52 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Okay just got this dvd and want to know if I should open it. I got burnt-bad-from the reviews of Bring It On, seriously one of the worst movies I have ever seen and from the reviews of What Lies Beneath, maybe one of the best movies I have ever seen. Is it really as good as everyone says. ?
Old 05-07-01, 07:58 PM
Uber Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think Bring it On was an "attitude" movie. It had a certain attitude and if you could buy into it and appreciate it, then you'd enjoy it.

Almost Famous is more of a coming of age movie. It does this very well and I think most people would enjoy watching it. Several of the actors give excellent performances and it captured the feeling of it's time period very well.

And if you grew up during the 70s and loved rock and roll, then I think you'll enjoy it even more.

Open it up and watch it. The only reason I think you'll feel burned is because there's a special edition coming out, but the street date hasn't been announced yet. I loved the movie, and was very happy to buy this title with the full knowledge that I'll be picking up the SE when it comes out.

-David
Old 05-07-01, 08:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Everything Blade said. This was one of those DVDs that turned out to be better than I expected and I am pleased I have....and I intend on getting the SE.
Old 05-07-01, 08:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well, we heard from an 80 year old and a 70 year old. Now from someone round your own age.

Amazing movie. I saw it because I heard all this hype about how great it was. I was prepared to be disappointed. I can't tell you how wrong I was. If you're a fan of rock and are 20-50 I think you'll be taken away. It is a very nice movie. I'm not a warm and cuddly guy, but I can tell you I was smiling through large parts of the movie.

Crack it open, watch it, and tell us what you think.
Old 05-07-01, 09:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Thanks Bushpup..I was not sure if adolescents would relate to it, so it's good to here your point of view.

The funny thing for me...I am exactly the same age as the main character in the movie. And I grew up in the same place. Cameron Crowe went to one of the local San Diego high schools (Fast Times at Clairmont High). Funny for me in that this movie really was excellent at capturing the time and place.
Old 05-08-01, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Open it... Quality film, excellent DVD.

Old 05-08-01, 04:51 PM

One of the better movies I bought this year..
Old 05-08-01, 05:06 PM
Banned

Don't open it. Sell it. This movie was overrated as hell.
Old 05-10-01, 12:47 AM

I just watched this movie for the first time two days ago. I was trying to decided whether or not to buy it afterwards, but decided not to. I figured I wouldn't want to watch it again. I thought it was good, but not good enough to warrant 20 clams. Or even 15, I guess. Let it be known that I do love classic rock and did enjoy the music a lot. I think the soundtrack would probably be outstanding, but I probably have every song on its respective studio release. My main problem was probably with the treatment of the characters. Penny Lane- would she have really been that headstrong and self confident? Doubtful. Realistically, few girls like this have much self esteem. I did like Francis McDermond's role as his mother. She is always spectacular, it seems. Scale of 1-10, I'd probably give it a 6. I do agree with the above quote that this movie was a bit overhyped...
Old 05-10-01, 01:22 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Depends whom you're talking about overhyping the movie. Not enough people went and saw it at the box office for me to think it was overhyped by anyone other than critics. And, I don't think the critics did oversell it, since it was easily one of the best movies of last year IMHO. I'm sorry that some of you didn't find it as entertaining and rewarding.
Old 05-11-01, 07:51 AM

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts
I for one liked it very much. While the disc is rather slim on features (in light of the impressive DTS audio track), the movie itself more than makes up for it.
Old 05-11-01, 11:12 AM

I thought it was an excellent movie, I also ignored the bad reviews that "What lies beneath got" and found it to be a very entertaining movie.
Old 05-11-01, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Almost Famous was a movie I liked in spite of myself. It's extraordinarily well-crafted, a true 'feel good' movie, but you just can't shake the nagging realization that it's all about celebrating the hegemonization and commercialization of rock-n-roll.

This is a rock-n-roll movie that your grandma would like. It celebrates cheesy no-talents (in music and journalism), prompting the the critic's line I remember most and which best describes it: Roger Ebert's "This movie made me want to hug myself".

Ugh. It's just that kind of self-congratulatory crap. It's for people who think Rolling Stone magazine is 'edgy'.

But, goddamit, I liked it anyway. No sheet. I really, really did.

But I'm waiting for the extended cut special edition due out this Fall/Winter before I buy it. And I will buy it, yes I will....

Goddam my sold-out soul.

[Edited by Richard Malloy on 05-11-01 at 09:31 AM]
Old 05-11-01, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I did open it, and did watch it. It was pretty good I guess because I wasn't expecting much. But I have already traded it away (ALREADY?). I found a site called spun.com and they gave me 13.00 for it, which in all honesty is probably even better than I could have ebayed it for. I traded almost famous, apollo 13 and 3 cd's I had collecting dust for Big Trouble in Little China and Dirty Work. Dirty Work is pretty dang hard to find. Try searching ebay for Dirty Work DVD. No current listings, no past listings. Yikes. Funny movie though. Oh, and I absolutely cannot live without Big Trouble in Little China. That movie was awesome. </babble>
Old 05-11-01, 11:46 AM

Two Thumbs up!
4/5 stars
9/10
Good story

Sit back and enjoy the movie!
Old 05-11-01, 01:27 PM

There's little doubt that I'm completely insane, but still...

Something about Kate Hudson's performance, particularly when William tells her that she's been "sold" to Humble Pie for case of beer, reminded me of Giulietta Masina. It wasn't until the second or third time I saw it, that I "got" her peformance.

So that's high praise, indeed, at least for someone.

If the rumored longer cut fleshes out the last half hour, it might make a terrific movie.
Old 05-12-01, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Upon my second viewing, the scene that really affected me was the scene where William is about to "lose his cherry" with those 2 babes running around him and disrobing him to his white Hanes. And then the shot with Kate Hudson covering her eyes and then peeking through and the slow motion. It just gave me a strong feeling of flashback/deja-vu to my adolesence when I was coming of age. Great movie!
Old 05-15-01, 05:23 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I have been burned before by the "hype" of a movie so I will never again purchase a movie sight unseen.
So I rented this one, and really enjoyed it. Then returned it. I have no urge to buy it.
Old 05-16-01, 02:21 PM

If you liked Single and Jerry Maguire, chances are you'll like this as well. Unfortunately, I don't care for Cameron Crowe's sickly sweet stuff at all. Almost Famous uses every cliche in the book. Feel-good, nostalgic coming-of-age story? Check. Hooker with a heart of gold? Check (oh, I mean "groupie", but same difference). Really pointless and unrealistic sitcom moments? Check - that bit in which the frightened band member proclaims his "secret" was a) seen a mile away b) incredibly sit-com like (can you hear the canned applause and laughter in the background?) Everyone is oh-so-nice and decent? Check. Why watch this on film when every sitcom portrays the same situations? I sw Almost Famous before, when it was called "The Wonder Years".

The most overrated film of 2000, apart from Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon.
Old 05-16-01, 04:23 PM

Right on, Grimfarrow. I couldn't agree more. You hit the nail right on the head.
Old 05-17-01, 03:53 AM

This whole film has been sanitized for you protection by Rolling Stone Magazine.. Everything in this movie has been done in other movies and done better. Cliches run amok IMHO.

Old 05-17-01, 08:07 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Grimfarrow
(same difference
Interesting phrase?????????????
Old 05-17-01, 04:45 PM

"We are not Groupies, we are Band-Aids."
Almost Famous has earned a very respectable spot in my collection, and I also have Bring It On, which is not even comperable to Almost Famous, which is awesome.
Old 05-17-01, 05:18 PM

Originally posted by DVD Smurf
"We are not Groupies, we are Band-Aids."
Almost Famous has earned a very respectable spot in my collection, and I also have Bring It On, which is not even comperable to Almost Famous, which is awesome.
Are you kidding or being serious? I haven't seen Bring It On. Is it very expensive?