Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Need help with getting a surround sound!!!

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Need help with getting a surround sound!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-01, 01:29 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was just wondering if you guys can help me out. I'm willing to spend about $300.00 - $400.00 on a complete set. Which one do you guys recommend?? It's going to be in my room, so being the loudest isn't really a factor. My room is about 19feet in length and 10 feet in width. Also, to any of you guys that live in an apartment and who has a surround sound, do the neighbors complain when you use it??? Thanks in advance guys. I have a panasonic a110 and a toshiba dvd, last years model which was around $250.00. I can't remember the model number right now. Thank you.
Old 04-03-01, 09:15 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

For $300-400 for the whole shebang, you'll probably have to get a home-theater-in-a-box. Do a Search of this forum for "home theater in a box" or "HTB HTIB" and you should find lots of suggestions. The Kenwood HTB-503 is highly regarded. There are several other comparable or better system, but there are far more crappy ones, so shop wisely at this price point, and you'll do okay.
Old 04-03-01, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

http://www.audioreview.com is an interesting place to check for user product reviews, particularly if you might be considering certain systems which combine the words "accoustic" and "mass"
Old 04-03-01, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I have to recommend the Phillips HTB. (Model number is something like 990D or 980, etc.)

Cost me $400. It sounds beautiful, and I couldn't be happier.