Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

subwoofer help

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-01, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ok .. so here i am, no instruction no guidance, no idea what i'm really doing and i need some help.

i have a friend who worked at bose and during an employee sale i picked up the Acoustimass-10 for about $500. only later, when shopping for a receiver (i ultimately bought the well-regarded onkyo-777) did i realize what a MISTAKE this was ... i was sold by the bose name and marketing

my hope is now to play off of the onkyo and upgrade EVERYTHING else through time. i assume this receiver is good enough for now - that makes my most pressing need a powered sub to make up for bose's short comings in the low end.

i'm looking for quality components in a subwoofer, one that will take advantage of my receiver's capabilities. i've heard the names of hsu's 1220 and 1225, klipsch's ksw-12,15, cerwin wegas lw-15. (mostly around $400-600 i think)

so my questions are -
1.) how do i know if i need an amp or not to power these - is my current receiver 'good enough'?
2.) what are the key measures that define a good subwoofer?3.) these subs are rated well by other wwws from what i've seen, is there anything that might set one apart from the other?
4.) is there something flawed in my strategy here? (going from new sub to new speakers)

thanks in advance for any and all help
Old 03-30-01, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Since most subs are powered, your current receiver is prolly fine - a powered sub takes all the load off the rec'r

As far as the, ahem, other question (#4), you would be better off returning the AM-10 if possible, and looking for some other speakers that will give you better response all around, although $500 is more in line with what those are really worth

Personally, I'd say that adding a sub to the AM-10 is kinda like putting perfume on a pig, but, it's your call there
Old 03-30-01, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Dr. Dank
Personally, I'd say that adding a sub to the AM-10 is kinda like putting perfume on a pig, but, it's your call there
thanks doc ...

i can't return em - maybe i'll post em up on ebay and see what they fetch. feel bad though ... someone's gonna hafta get duped! thanks again for the advice