Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Help with setup please. Too many wires and cables.

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Help with setup please. Too many wires and cables.

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-01, 03:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just got a Phillips and had to get the RF adapter. (My TV is only 4 yrs old but doesn't have the proper connectors but that's for another thread). My question is, since I got the RF adapter, my cable picture quality has degraded so I'm wondering what is the best way to run all those wires and cables through a VCR etc. Currently I have the cable coming into the VCR, to the RF Modulator and then to the TV. As for the DVD wires, I have the yellow video out going to the RF modulator and the red/white going into the VCR2 on my amplifier. Also, as I've been reading people suggesting a new tv, I really can't afford one right now. Thanks for the help.
R
Old 03-25-01, 05:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I'm confused too!?

You usually can't run a DVD player through a VCR because the macrovision will distort the picture to prevent copying. 4 years old isn't really that old, I would think it would have some RCA connections. You may find you'll need a different TV to simplify things.
Old 03-25-01, 05:30 PM

Re: Help with setup.

Thanks Jim, but that's why I had to buy the RF converter, the TV doesn't have the proper jacks. I was originally running it through the VCR before I bought the RF converter but the picture kept darkening and brightening. So, the question still stands, what's the best way to run all those cables/wires etc?
TIA
Old 03-26-01, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

IMO, your current setup is set up perfectly. You did it right. If your cable TV picture has suffered, it is more like due to a bad RG59 coaxial antenna cable than to the additional connections. Your picture may have degraded slightly, but not so much that it is distracting. The difference should be marginal. Try replacing the cables to see if the picture improves. Could you have gotten a faulty RF modulator? Is it the "auto-switching" kind, because maybe it's stuck in the "on" position and is causing interference on every channel except 3/4.
Old 03-26-01, 03:01 PM

Re: Help with setup please. Too many wires and cables.

The difference is negligible but being the anal person I am, I just wanted to make sure. The converter is an "always on" type so I don't think it's that.
I'll try swapping the cables and see if that helps. Thanks for the info.
R