Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

system set up Questions~

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

system set up Questions~

Old 03-23-01, 10:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes...

It's me ..I'm back after my initial questions about DTS & getting all that straightend out there are otehr issues.

I finally got my system sounding pretty good but I am now concerned about how setting up 5.1 & DTS prefs effect my mains for playing music.

EXAMPLE: I set the speakers to sound good (again, no meter, none of that stuff yet, also need to do all that distance by feet & stuff) but I think I turned my mains down to boost the rears & when I was watching TV through the system 9like I normally do it sounded like it was playing in a cave.

the receiver is not set to hall or church or anything like that. Wondering if I should reset the receiver & start all over again. (SONY 444ES)

Can't do any crossover stuff as my sub is not capable of tuning or tweaking on it's own ( satelites go to sub & then all go to front input on receiver)

Is there a way to have the receiver set for HT one way , but set differently for music????
YES, I AM reading the manual, but have not figured it all out yet.

thanks in advance for any info folks
Old 03-23-01, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by J.F.SEBASTION
I finally got my system sounding pretty good but I am now concerned about how setting up 5.1 & DTS prefs effect my mains for playing music.
I would think that your preferences for this shouldn't affect your music at all, since the music won't be in DD/DTS.
but I think I turned my mains down to boost the rears & when I was watching TV through the system like I normally do it sounded like it was playing in a cave.
Sounds like you have the rears turned up too loud and perhaps the delay setting too large in Pro-Logic surround. You can safely alter these values without affecting the ones you set for DD/DTS. So, if DD/DTS is set up, leave it alone and concentrate on all the other settings until you feel they're all right. For the TV input, choose "surround" and make sure there are no DSP effects, and then readjust the db levels until it sounds normal. This should not effect your DD/DTS preferences, but it will probably affect all inputs that are set to "surround" (CD, VCR, etc.).
Is there a way to have the receiver set for HT one way, but set differently for music
Yes, you should be able to alter the various DSPs separately so that you can tweak DD/DTS for movies, SURROUND for TV, HALL for music, etc., but I feel that music is best listened to in stereo, since DPL always sounds a bit screwy to me...