Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

WEGA owners please answer a question for me.

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

WEGA owners please answer a question for me.

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-01, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
When you are watching a movie, does the black bar(top/bottom) ever "lighten up", if the screen is very bright?
I just called Sony Service, and I had a tech over who said this was normal because there is no scanning going on in that area. I've had about 4 TVs so far, and I've yet to see this happen on any of them.
My last resort is going to the mgr of the store where I bought it, and demand he replace it. He doesn't seem like a real friendly fellow, so I don't know what to do.
The picture itself isn't affected by the problem. Just the bars.
Old 03-20-01, 12:06 PM
Admin Emeritus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have a KV-32FS12... just threw in "A Bug's Life," which has some very bright scenes in it, and didn't notice the problem you described. Have you calibrated your TV since you purchased it? The settings from the factory were a little too bright before I used the THX Optimode feature (on DVDs like Fight Club, Toy Story 2, maybe the new Se7en:PE) to bring the blacks down to the proper level. Before I adjusted them, the blacks were just dark gray.

I've noticed a problem when the screen goes very dark... I see a very thing rainbow colored line appear across the top of the screen. I just try and ignore it... it's not that big of a deal.
Old 03-20-01, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not sure if this is related, but... there's a picture element called DC Resoration that is supposed to keep black images at the same black level even though the rest of the picture gets brighter/darker. If your black level is changing when the brightness changes, this is a sign of poor DC Resotration (i.e., poorly built TV set). I would research a bit on the Net, and if this is indeed the problem, return/exchange the TV or complain to the manufacturer.
Old 03-20-01, 07:22 PM

I have a Wega, and have not noticed this on my set, but If its only the black bars which are effected, have you considered making mattes for you TV? It looks unbelievable, especially in the 16:9 squeeze mode.

Fred
Old 03-21-01, 06:54 AM

This happens on all Wegas. Like many Wega issues, most people just don't notice it. You'll notice this in dark scenes with bright objects. It's almost like the color is bleeding on to the black bar. It doesn't bother me, personally but I can see how others might be annoyed.

This has come up many times on other forums, BTW.

Jeff
Old 03-21-01, 09:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

If it happens on all Wegas why didn't anyone else who posted here have the problem?
Are some sets worse than others? I'm gonna call the store I bought it from, and see if they'll replace it. Perhaps the next one won't be as bad.
Old 03-21-01, 10:04 AM

WEGA owner for about 5 months now & have never seen what you are describing with your bars. sorry, it's not every WEGA, nor is it acceptable. Hopefully it just need tweaking.

Speaking of the WEGA,I've never been so in love with a TV in my life......

re-reading what I just wrote, I'm beginning to scare myself.
I'm turning into the A/V guy we all made fun of in high school.
Old 03-21-01, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Unfortunately, after dealing with Sony CSMs and Sony techs, and Tweeter.com techs(grrrrrr), I have to take my TV back to Bryn Mawr(Tweeter B&M). The good thing is they will deliver the new one, and cart of the old one for only $29.99.
I know something is up with this TV, 'cause everyone I talk to tells me they've never seen this. Its also been a degrading problem, it's gotten worse since I bought it. Then a yellow line is developing on the left line. Plus it's making a "crrrrck" noise every so often. I'm sure it's just the Tube warming up(my last Trinitron did this), but this one is doing it every 15 minutes or so. I'm glad the mgr has agreed to swap TVs for me.
This TV is ****ed up. I mean even the black frame is way off center. I'm just glad I don't have to move it again.
Old 03-21-01, 11:44 AM
Admin Emeritus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Thunderball
Unfortunately, after dealing with Sony CSMs and Sony techs, and Tweeter.com techs(grrrrrr), I have to take my TV back to Bryn Mawr(Tweeter B&M). The good thing is they will deliver the new one, and cart of the old one for only $29.99.
Wow, that's great that they will cart off the old one. Cool idea!
Old 03-21-01, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Just a quick update for those following my saga

I just went over to Bryn Mawr, and spoke with the mgr, he APOLOGIZED for all the inconvenience this was caushing me, blah blah blah. I know he didn't mean a word of it, and I know it's the usual "upset customer" spiel. but I'm happy I'll have a TV that works sometime next week.
They also gave me a coupon for 10% off my next purchase.
Not too shabby.