Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Decent speakers for Marantz SR7000

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Decent speakers for Marantz SR7000

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-01, 06:10 AM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I intend to purchase the Marantz SR7000 receiver and I'm also looking for a set of speakers that would go with it. The speakers would have to sound good for both HT and music (mostly classical), that was the reason why I decided to go with the Marantz SR7000.
I know nothing about speakers besides the obvious (look at low range frequency and system sensitivity). I read that you can get decent HT system speakers for ~ $ 400-500. Is that true? Is it better to go for a complete package (5 speakers + subwoofer) or maybe by them separately and look for better quality? I'd appreciate your comments. Thanks.
Old 03-20-01, 07:48 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You just bought an $800 receiver.

You absolutely won't be using it to its full potential if you spend $500 on a set (assuming that "set" = 5 or 6 speakers).

If you only have $500 to spend on speakers, I recommend spending it all on a single pair of speakers to use until you can afford to add a center, surrounds, and a sub (and probably in that order).

I think very highly of Energy, PSB, and Paradigm in this price range. There are lots of other brands that are worth checking out, too.
Old 03-20-01, 08:15 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

i concur with stevevt. you're really much better off in the long run if you buy better quality speakers from the get go. you've already purchased a nice receiver...why strangle its abilities putting the sound through cheap speakers?

That said, here are some lines I'd recommend your listening to:
B&W 603 or 602 Series 2
Paradigm Reference
Monitor Audio Silver or Gold
NHT (a bit more mass market, but good nonetheless)
Old 03-20-01, 08:58 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I agree with the above. The energy take 5 might be a stopgap solution, but that receiver is amazing and deserves more.

My setup with my SR-8000 is

NHT superone fronts/NHT supercenter/NHT superzero rears and a Velodyne CT-120 sub.

Now, you should be able to get everything without the sub for just over your stated amount.. The sub makes a huge difference. Have heard good things about HSU subs too.
Old 03-20-01, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I like the NHTs also. And you can get them cheap from www.discounts-n-deals.com, although I believe NHT does not condone mail order sales. The SuperCenter was $190 shipped, SuperOnes are about $220 for the pair, SuperZeros are about $180/pair. Best to call them and ask for Dave to confirm current prices. They are quite accurate bookshelf speakers, not the most efficient, but the Marantz should make them sound great!

Note that the SuperZeros also make excellent front speakers, with a decent sub. And the NHT subs are noted for their musical sound as well as HT. I have SuperZeros/SuperCenter in front, may upgrade l/r to SuperOnes someday, but then agin I'm in no hurry to! $^)
Old 03-20-01, 10:27 PM

Going with the SR7000, good call.

I am not a speaker expert either, but if you live near the Canadian border you might want to make a trip here if you decide on Paradigms.

I bought each pair of my B-stock (blemished...but I couldn't see where without scrutinizing them) Atoms for $200 Canadian. I forget how much the centre channel was ($250 or so). These are what I would call "high quality entry level speakers". I have heard the Marantz with top end Paradigm speakers, and it is sweet.

I understand Paradigms, and some other Canadian made speakers, are significantly more expensive in the US. Plus the exchange rate is ridiculously in your (assuming you are in the US) favour right now.
Old 03-21-01, 05:13 AM
Cool New Member

Thanks for your comments. rkive, as a matter of fact, I live in upstate NY, so I might consider a trip to Canada to get the speakers.
Old 03-21-01, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Add another vote Paradigm Atoms. I have some and I love them.

I paid $120/pr for mine about a year ago. Get 3 pairs and use them for all channels. You will need to add a sub since they don't produce real deep bass.
Old 03-22-01, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

With the Marantz a much better match would be a pair of reference level Paradigms. You just bought yourself an incredible receiver, don't cheap out now. The references are a bit more expensive than the entry level paradigms, but they make up for it in sound, especially classical. Much more dyanmic and full sound over the entries. The studio 20, 40, or 60's would sound amazing on that amplifier. The Studio 20's I have seen for around $400-500. They might be a little overkill for home theater, but they are a fantastic pair of speakers.

If that's too much look towards the Mini-monitors in the Paradigm line. They sound excellant as well and if you ever upgraded would easily be able to pull rear duty.

Good luck.