Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Sony vs Panasonic TVs?

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Sony vs Panasonic TVs?

Old 03-19-01, 02:21 PM
Suspended

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm lookin for a new TV.. I was gonna spend all my cash (around 3K) on one, but I decided to wait another year or so and see what kind of new HDTV things come along, but I still need a new and good TV, prolly just a 27" would suit me just fine for my needs right now

So I was looking at Wegas.. a friend has a 27" one, and I've seen them at stores. They're nice but one thing that's always bugged me about them is I can see the horizontal lines in them very clearly, it's almost distracting sometimes.

I was checking out Panasonic's web site and they have some new TVs called Tau or something like that. Here's a link to the 27" one.. http://www.prodcat.panasonic.com/sho...=True&active=1 the CT-27SX10 .. MSRP is $649, thats pretty much the most I wanna spend.

Anyone had any experience with the Panasonic TVs? Any reason why I would want to go with one over a Wega? The rest of my HT setup is all Sony, and I guess it would be good to keep it in the family, but for the TV I wanna get the best looking picture I can for the price I'm paying, and I want it to be a set that lasts. I know I want component inputs and I know the 27" Wega my friend has doesn't have that, but I'm guessing there's other models around the same size that do.

The TV's audio doesn't interest me at all though since this is getting plugged into my HT reciever anyway... it's really just best video quality I'm after
Old 03-20-01, 06:35 AM
Cool New Member

coworker just bought a 32" tau. she swears by it!

in fact, they said that every store they went to that had both the wega and tau on display, gave them all the more reason to pick the tau. apparently the picture of the tau was superior to the wega at every store they visited. coincidence? who knows.

the funny thing is they started out intending to by a wega, and once they did their homework, they ended up going with something else.

Old 03-20-01, 09:55 AM
Suspended

I got the 27" Tau, and I think it's great! I did go shopping around and was going to get a Wega, but the Tau did just look way better to me, plus for the price ($600) it had component plugs in the back, the Wega didn't. So far I think it's a great tv.. I watched Transformers: The Movie on it and it never looked so crisp and clear
Old 03-20-01, 12:09 PM
Admin Emeritus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Are you sure the VVEGA doesn't have component plugs? I've got the low-end 32 inch model, and it has component ins... the labeling of the ins on the back is sort of poorly labeled, though.

I notice the horizontal lines, too, but only when I'm way close the screen. I sit about 8-10 feet back, and I don't see them.