Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

how are these receivers?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

how are these receivers?

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-01, 10:22 PM
TCG
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
in terms of price and overall sound quality.

Yamaha - http://electronics.cnet.com/cgi/CEPD...rs&pid=1000434

Pioneer - http://electronics.cnet.com/cgi/CEPD...rs&pid=1000404

Sherwood - http://electronics.cnet.com/cgi/CEPD...rs&pid=1000357

Sony - http://electronics.cnet.com/cgi/CEPD...rs&pid=1000484

thanks
Old 03-19-01, 12:40 AM

Hi wanted to give you my opinion on this. If you can I would suggest taking a look at Denon's 1801 and if you can spend a little more the 2801. If you can compare them side-by-side I think you might just like it. The 1801 is rated at 70 watts per channel and I noticed the one's you where looking at were 100 watts. I know it will blow Sony's,Sherwood's and the Pioneer one out of the water. I think the Yamaha one will be the closest then maybe Sony but you will pay alot more for Sony which won't be worth it. This is only my opinion but I'm around this stuff alot and I hardly go by the specs. Most of them are off anyway. So I think you should give Denon a good look and if you like it you can buy it at Brandnamez.com for about $375 and the last client I bought one for, there was no shipping charge.

Hope this helps good luck
Old 03-19-01, 02:04 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Of the choice offered above, the Sony 333ES would definitely be the way to go. Sony might have a bad rep with their DE and DB lines, but the ES is no slouch. You might also want to consider the Onkyo RS676, Marantz SR-5000, and Outlaw 1050.
Old 03-19-01, 12:25 PM
Cool New Member

We have a 333ES in our test lab as a reference receiver, and I really like this receiver. I'm not a fan of the DE line of Sony's, but the ES line (and the DB line) are very nice units.

We are currently working on the review of the Outlaw 1050. If you are thinking of doing a 6 channel system, this is definitely the way to go. We're not crazy about the appearance and it only having 3 digital inputs, but the performance is tremendous.

Another favorite of our staff is the Onkyo 575x. We recommend this receiver all the time. Great receiver that can be had for under $400.
Old 03-19-01, 06:25 PM
BT
DVD Talk Special Edition

If you want Pioneer...

A better Pioneer receiver would be the VSX-D509s. It is a better model at pretty much the same price. The difference, and a big one at that, is the universal learning remote control that comes with the 509s. I bought a 509s for $199 several months ago and absolutely love it. For DVD home theater buffs on a budget, this is the receiver to go with.

The remote is the best part, as it is capable of "learning" to control virtually every other piece of home a/v equipment you have. Mine controls the receiver, DVD player, VCR, TV, and my TiVo!

However if your budget is substantially larger that $200, definitely spend the money for a higher-quality receiver (i.e. Yamaha, Marantz, Onkyo, etc.) you won't regret it.

Good kuck!
Old 03-21-01, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

IMO it's a bit hard to choose a receiver w/o considering the speakers. the sony and the yamaha tend to be a bit bright, some might say edgy or harsh; these would not be a good match with a speaker that also leans toward the bright end of the sonic spectrum. on the otherhand if your speakers tend to be a bit “dull” these products might mate well.

i would suggest to listen to the various models in a store w/ the same speakers you will be using or better yet, narrow down your choices and arrange for an extended in home trial (many stores will loan you equipment or allow you to purchase and return w/in 30 days).
Old 03-21-01, 04:09 PM

I have the Sony 333ES. I love It. Clean crisp souynd. Easy to use. Powerfull and well built. Thje remote is just ok.
I goot it at onecall.com for a real good price.