Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Home Theater Deal? (Circuit City)

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Home Theater Deal? (Circuit City)

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-01, 12:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I wanted to know if the deal in the Circuit City ad was good. It was the Sony STRDE445 reciver with the Jensen 805 speaker package. I know the reciver doesn't have the high number of input/output and S-Video jacks but I like this for a low budget starter system. it also has the DD/DTS decoders and the speaker package has the 100-Watt powered sub. How good of a deal is this?

I currently use just a stereo shelf system with a non-decoding DVD player. So this would be a good step-up!

What do you guys think for $400?

Links:

Sony STRDE445
http://www.circuitcity.com/frame1.js...ent=Home+Audio

Jensen Speaker Package

http://www.circuitcity.com/frame1.js...ent=Home+Audio

Old 03-18-01, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Basically you are paying $400 for the receiver because Jenson speakers are possibly the worst sounding and cheapest speakers made.

The speakers in your shelf system are probably better
Old 03-18-01, 02:27 PM

Originally posted by jumbojp
Basically you are paying $400 for the receiver because Jenson speakers are possibly the worst sounding and cheapest speakers made.

The speakers in your shelf system are probably better

What speaker package would be better for the $300 (I know it is pretty limited) range? I was sort of looking at the JBL SCS135 series. Any advice there?

Old 03-18-01, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

It's a good deal, although the Jensen Speakers aren't the best. I doubt the speakers in your shelf system are much better unless you have some kind of high-end stereo. It depends on your home theater environment and budget. Do you live in an apartment or have a small living room? Secondly, listen to them at the store. Make sure the Jensen has an active/powered sub. Also, keep in mind that you will have to drop another $300 or so for anything considerably better. The JBLs are nice, but are they worth an extra $300? Unless you have the money burining a hole in your wallet, I'm not sure I'd do that.

[Edited by cwwallace on 03-18-01 at 12:53 PM]
Old 03-18-01, 03:19 PM

Originally posted by cwwallace
It's a good deal, although the Jensen Speakers aren't the best. I doubt the speakers in your shelf system are much better unless you have some kind of high-end stereo. It depends on your home theater environment and budget. Do you live in an apartment or have a small living room? Secondly, listen to them at the store. Make sure the Jensen has an active/powered sub. Also, keep in mind that you will have to drop another $300 or so for anything considerably better. The JBLs are nice, but are they worth an extra $300? Unless you have the money burining a hole in your wallet, I'm not sure I'd do that.

[Edited by cwwallace on 03-18-01 at 12:53 PM]

My shelf-system is good but not high-end. It's actually a couple of years old. I definately don't have any money burning a hole in my wallet! I'm only 16 but work so I do have income. I have a large living room but this would go in the second living room we have which is considerably smaller and I think could be filled with surround sound pretty easily and cost efficiently. The sub is a 100-Watt and it is powered.

One question for you...I believe the speaker package says it has 4 satellite surrounds. Are mains needed or am I missing something? What is exactly a "satellite" surround system? Is it better or worse than some other type of surround sound?

BTW, My dad has a nice set of floor-standing speakers and those might be incorporated into the system if at all possible but I am not too worried about that.

Thanks for your help!
Old 03-18-01, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

What is an active/powered sub? I see this in a lot of sub specs, but am clueless as to what it really means.
Old 03-18-01, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

One question for you...I believe the speaker package says it has 4 satellite surrounds. Are mains needed or am I missing something? What is exactly a "satellite" surround system? Is it better or worse than some other type of surround sound?

Satellites are just 4 speakers (2 fronts & 2 rears)that are the same size and usually pretty small. Most have a mid-range and tweeter in them. But just because they are small doesn't mean they aren't adequate. It sounds like a decent set for the price, especially considering it comes with a powered sub.
Old 03-18-01, 07:17 PM

So since it comes with 4 satellites then do I need to come up with two mains?

Old 03-18-01, 07:52 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by bn64
So since it comes with 4 satellites then do I need to come up with two mains?

The four satellites consist of two rear surrounds and two left and right front speakers which are the same as mains. Mains is just another word for the front speakers as they are essentially the main speakers. You would also still need a center front speaker to get true 5.1 surround sound.
Old 03-18-01, 08:10 PM

Originally posted by Toad
What is an active/powered sub? I see this in a lot of sub specs, but am clueless as to what it really means.
An active or powered subwoofer includes it's own amplifier, generally integrated into the sub cabinet.
Old 03-18-01, 08:35 PM

[/B][/QUOTE]

The four satellites consist of two rear surrounds and two left and right front speakers which are the same as mains. Mains is just another word for the front speakers as they are essentially the main speakers. You would also still need a center front speaker to get true 5.1 surround sound. [/B][/QUOTE]

The package actually comes with a Center Channel... It has the 4 Satellites, 1 Center, and the 100-Watt Powered Sub. That would give me DD/DTS, right?
Old 03-19-01, 12:14 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by bn64
The four satellites consist of two rear surrounds and two left and right front speakers which are the same as mains. Mains is just another word for the front speakers as they are essentially the main speakers. You would also still need a center front speaker to get true 5.1 surround sound. [/B][/QUOTE]

The package actually comes with a Center Channel... It has the 4 Satellites, 1 Center, and the 100-Watt Powered Sub. That would give me DD/DTS, right? [/B][/QUOTE]

Yes it would. As far as the quality I don't know. If it's a starter system and is within your budget I guess it should be OK, although there are obviously better receivers and speakers out there but at a higher price.