Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Sony SA-WM40 Subwoofer

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Sony SA-WM40 Subwoofer

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-01, 11:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey everyone. I finally got this sub yesterday, hooked it up and my first impression was it just plain sucked for music. My setup right now is just a receiver, 2 klipsch speakers, and the sony sub ... I can't hook it into the TV or DVD player yet due to space restrictions in my dorm room. The bass wasn't as tight as I thought it'd be, it was too boomy and sounded terrible. With N Sync, it sounded fine, but when i put in some any kind of rap, it seemed like the bass couldn't keep up with the words of the song, like it was a lagged effect. I tried fiddling w/all the settings on the sub and receiver but couldn't do a thing. Can anyone recommend anything? I have the sub placed in the corner of the room surrounded by 2 walls, a cabinet, and a garbage can sitting right in front of it, and a clothes hamper sitting on top of it (very very little space in this room). If anyone has any suggestions, I'd really appreciate it. Thanks.
-Mike
Old 03-15-01, 11:57 AM
Banned

it is the most overrated piece of junk in the world. It's fair if you only want to spend 200 bucks, but this sub gets so much irrational hype that it's unreal.
Old 03-15-01, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Maybe my experience with car stereo will help here.

What kind of bass do you expect from a 12" driver? If your looking for punchy bass get an 8" or even a 10". For low deep bass get a 12"

If you complement your Sony Sub with some good mid bass from your side or rear speakers you'll be fine.

Hip Hop does not have a lot of low bass, if you have any old LL cool J, listen to "I'm Bad" near the end you'll hear what low bass is.

Also give it some time to work in, you think after 2 or 3 hours the driver is worked in? Do a search on this site, there are a lot of tips on how to setup this sub.

Name one sub that's better than this sub in this price range. I'll take the Pepsi challange on any sub you mention.

[Edited by RaptorsFan on 03-16-01 at 06:00 AM]
Old 03-15-01, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Most folks that like these $200 sub have never heard/felt the power of a really good sub. I know. Once you have, it's tough to go back to the inexpensive subs.

Sounds like the transient response of the Sony sub isn't tight enough to keep up with rap "music".
Old 03-15-01, 11:08 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Patman
Most folks that like these $200 sub have never heard/felt the power of a really good sub. I know. Once you have, it's tough to go back to the inexpensive subs.

Sounds like the transient response of the Sony sub isn't tight enough to keep up with rap "music".
I am going to haver to argue with you on that point. I am not on a set price range at all but value minded and demoed it at home against numerous $500.00 + subs and found it is definetly right up there.

[Edited by Kman1011 on 03-16-01 at 06:00 AM]
Old 03-16-01, 08:05 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Since when is 400 dollars (Canadian) inexpensive? I believe that less expensive then my 1000 dollar (Canadian) sub is a better term.

I don't think anybody has disputed the fact that there are way better subwoofers out there for a lot more money. But for people who cant spend that kind of money (or don't want to) the Sony Sub is a very good option.

Nuff Said.
Old 03-16-01, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts
I had the same issues when I first got my sub. Try the different phase settings as I found that mine worked best with the reverse phase on due to room acoustics. Second, crank down the sub output on your receiver and crank up the volume control on the sub itself to fully utilize the sub's amp. Finally, play with room placement if at all possible as this is most likely to help your situation.

Old 03-16-01, 12:43 PM
BT
DVD Talk Special Edition

Chess?

Where's Chess? I bet he's got some good info on how to tweak that Sony for better music response...
Old 03-16-01, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...threadid=85305

For those few who were following my SA-WM40 thread (and anyone else who wants to join), I thought I’d start a subwoofer setup advice thread based on my experiences. Any further bits of wisdom and/or questions are welcome. If you disagree with something I say, feel free to refute it, and try to bear in mind that these are simply my opinions based on my limited experience.

Things I’ve noticed:

1. Given the choice, the subwoofer pre-out is the best connection between your receiver and sub. Just my opinion having tried both ways. It seems “cleaner” and easier to tune.

2. Be sure to set your mains to “small” and your subwoofer setting to “on” before assuming that something is wrong with your receiver or sub.

3. Assuming that your mains can handle lower frequencies (say 80-120 hz), set the sub crossover on your receiver as low as possible. Your mains are probably more musical anyway, and this really adds to the directional effect of a x.1 system. A sub should augment a surround system, not overpower it.

4. Assuming that you have your sub crossed over via your receiver, turn the crossover on your sub all the way up (in effect, bypassing it). Nothing good will come of using dual crossovers, and you will likely create a “hole” in your frequency range.

5. If you have a large listening room, put your sub in a corner. Be sure it’s a foot or so from either wall so that the “waves” from the sub reflect off both walls. This will allow you to decrease the gain, and therefore, the distortion. You can get away with less careful placement in a smaller room but will still benefit from proper placement.

6. More for the large room. If your sub sounds like it’s a bit behind your mains or sounds “slow”, try reversing the phase.

7. If you find that your room reaches it’s limitations before your sub does (pictures/windows rattling), do something about it. I’ve found that a strip of bubble-wrap taped between the wall and a picture frame works wonders.

8. Give your sub some time to break in before you do any serious or final placement. 20 hours or so should do it.

9. An SPL meter and a test disk will pay serious dividends.

10. Did I mention an SPL meter?

Product recommendations:

I haven’t heard a “cheap” sub ($100-300) better than the Sony mentioned above. Please bear in mind that a 12” driver will never sound as “tight” as an 8” driver but will generally move a lot more air. Really, it depends on your preference, and I would recommend auditioning a few subs before buying one.

There are several good choices in the mid-price ($300-600) range. The best I’ve heard is the Hsu. On the upper fringe of this range is the SVS, which many rave about, but I have not heard.

Above that, you are mostly on your own. I have heard the 15” Velodyne, and it sounded great, but I don’t really have anything to compare it to.
Old 03-16-01, 07:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally posted by Kman1011

I am going to haver to argue with you on that point. I am not on a set price range at all but value minded and demoed it at home against numerous $500.00 + subs and found it is definetly right up there.

Heh, I like showing this pic of one of my subs:

Old 03-16-01, 07:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The worst thing about cheap subs are the amps followed by the low excursion capability of the woofers!

Subwoofer amps should have a high damping factor. Damping factor is what controls the woofer cone. Most of the cheaper sub amps have a very low damping factors and low current output which leads to audible distortion at low levels. Unfortunately many sub amps don't list damping factor in the specs

I guarantee if you hook that sub to a better amp it would sound much better.

Also the excursion of the woofer plays an important part. Yes the woofers on some cheap speakers(i.e. Pionner, JBL, KLH) are huge, but they don't move much due to tight surrounds, spiders and extremely small magnets and if they don't move they don't create bass!
Old 03-16-01, 09:32 PM

Serious help needed. I have a SA-WM40. When I am playing a DVD or just watching TV in stereo it will play fine for a while and then a horrible buzzing noise kicks in. I have to shut the sub off and turn it back on to get it to stop. I have a Sony STR-DE615 receiver. If this is a rookie question, I apologize, but any help on this will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Old 03-16-01, 09:46 PM

I demo'ed many of the "cheaper" subs a few months back (including the Sony sub mentioned in this thread) and I found that the Polk PSW250 met my expectations almost perfectly. That's what it comes to isn't it? Everyone has their own expectations of what bass should sound like. Some people like large-woofer-booming-deep-bass and others (myself included) prefer smaller subwoofers that produce tighter bass. I have the feeling that the original poster likes large woofer bass and if he does then the Sony speaker isn't for him.

By the way, the Polk is only $250 and I would recommend it to anyone.

-Gonnosuke

http://www.polkaudio.com/home/produc...oofers/psw250/
Old 03-16-01, 10:03 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Kman1011

Heh, I like showing this pic of one of my subs:

I like it but I cannot see my wife going for it, its just not as she would call aesthetically pleasing to her.