Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

how do i calibrate my TV?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

how do i calibrate my TV?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-01, 08:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I finally gave in, and bought a 58 inch Pioneer 16:9 TV. It is being delivered on Friday (I hope). Now, i hear people talking about professional calibration. Is that something that i need to have done? Can I do that myself? If not, how much does it cost, and who does it? any opinions are appreciated.
Old 03-14-01, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Professional ISF calibration is highly recommended, but not absolutely necessary. You cannot calibrate your TV as well as an ISF tech. Check your local area for prices, but I have heard it costs anywhere between $500-1000.
http://www.imagingscience.com/
Old 03-14-01, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Carefully.

You can either go professional or do it yourself. If
you do it yourself you'll need a copy of the Video
Essentials dvd. It will take you through the calibration
process step by step with test screens.
Old 03-14-01, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

If you're going to spend a lot of money on a 16x9 TV, you shold definitely look seriously into having it professionally calibrated. beyond what VE or Avia will do for you.
Old 03-27-01, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

You have to calibrate digital TV's too?

I thought you only had to calibrate the rear-end projector types.
Old 03-27-01, 05:09 PM

OK... heres the update

i got my TV, and it is fantastic! The colors were off at first, and i tryed to adjust them by sight. that doesn't work very well. I bought the avia disc, and everything looks very good now. It took about an hour to get it right, but it was worth the $50 i spent on avia. I had no idea that the anamorphic discs would look so great!
Old 03-27-01, 08:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

How much difference will it really make? Is it really worth the extra money?
Old 03-27-01, 08:43 PM
X
Administrator

Received 154 Likes on 124 Posts
Which Pioneer model did you get? And ISF calibration will even make it better. Much better. It's far superior to what you can do with Avia. I'm getting ready to do it to my Pioneer.
Old 03-28-01, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Yrth
You have to calibrate digital TV's too? I thought you only had to calibrate the rear-end projector types.
The fact that it is a 58" TV leads me to believe that it is a rear-projection TV.

Avia and Video Essentials are good enough for direct-view TVs. They're also helpful for rear-projection TVs, but they do not help with things like convergence, VSM, etc. For that, you need an experienced tech to change the service menu items using some advanced equipment. ISF calibration is beneficial for any rear-projection TV, digital or not, although it is expensive.
Old 03-29-01, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by DigIt
Originally posted by Yrth
You have to calibrate digital TV's too? I thought you only had to calibrate the rear-end projector types.
The fact that it is a 58" TV leads me to believe that it is a rear-projection TV.

Avia and Video Essentials are good enough for direct-view TVs. They're also helpful for rear-projection TVs, but they do not help with things like convergence, VSM, etc. For that, you need an experienced tech to change the service menu items using some advanced equipment. ISF calibration is beneficial for any rear-projection TV, digital or not, although it is expensive.
Thanks. I've been viewing some widescreen digital TVs at Best Buy and seriously been thinking about pluncking down about $3500 or so for a 53" one.
Old 03-29-01, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yeah, I'd say you can buy the TV and not have it ISF calibrated, see how it is. I have seen some TVs that needed it and some that probably didn't. Me personally, I'd be concerned with convergence, etc. with a rear projector, and the clarity of digital might make any problems more noticeable. But if everything looks okay, I wouldn't worry too much. Don't assume that because you're buying a TV you have to sink extra money into ISF calibration. I know I would want it, but I don't know if I could afford it.
Old 03-29-01, 05:27 PM

Originally posted by X
Which Pioneer model did you get? And ISF calibration will even make it better. Much better. It's far superior to what you can do with Avia. I'm getting ready to do it to my Pioneer.
I got the SD-582HD5. I have never been happier!

Im sure that professional calibration may look better, but i am quite happy with the way it looks now.