Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

final decision on speakers, please comment

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

final decision on speakers, please comment

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-01, 02:39 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
After going to bestbuy to listen every night this week. I've decided,

Front: Sony SS-MF515 $200
Center: Sony SS-CN490 $100
Rear: Sony SS-MF315 $120
No Sub.
Wire: 100 feet 14 guage from HD $36
Total: $456+tax

My receiver is Kenwood VR-4080. I chose bulky floor-standing speakers because I really don't want to spend that much money on speaker stands. A sub is not included because I don't want to get complaints from my neighbors.

Does this setup sounds ok to you guys? Any comment on setup or better deal is appreciated.
Old 03-09-01, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not bad for $456.
Old 03-09-01, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'd recommend against going to Best Buy to get speakers, especially if you are willing to spend $450 dollars for a set of 5.

Are there any Home Theater/Audio specialty stores in your area? Try the phone book.

I think that a comparably priced set of PSB speakers will sound better on music and movies, and make you a happier person.

PSB Alpha Mini (mains): $200
PSB Alpha Mite (surrounds): $170
PSB Alpha Midi (center): $120
MSRP = $490

Shouldn't be too tough to find this set for $450, and the dealer (if they're cool) will throw in the speaker wire for free.

Similar sets can be found by Energy, Paradigm, and a bunch of others. I haven't heard the Sonys you're looking at, but you owe it to yourself to see if you'd like brands that Best Buy doesn't carry.

[Edited by stevevt on 03-09-01 at 01:06 PM]
Old 03-09-01, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Maybe you've seen these already, but here are a bunch of favorable reviews of the MF515s you're looking at.

Here are some more.

[Edited by stevevt on 03-09-01 at 01:05 PM]
Old 03-09-01, 03:23 PM

I agree with stevevt. Remembering that your speakers are considered by most to be the most important part of your set up, I would look into some other brands. I have paradigms and although i went with the reference line, i listened to alot of different speakers and believe that lower-end paradigms would still sound much better than the sonys

sony makes great audio equipment, i'm just not sure speakers are their strength. Before the Sony owners start blasting me, however, my point is Listen to a wider variety than make a decision based on YOUR perference. If the sonys rock for than get'em.

Old 03-09-01, 06:22 PM

If you have a good guys near you, i would go there and get the energy take fives for 50% off. only $249, posted by cysco,HOT! Energy Take 5 $249 ag GG B&M. They would sound alot better than the sony's and they are $200 less!
Old 03-09-01, 06:39 PM
ngp
DVD Talk Gold Edition

SONY...Ugh!

As stated above...spend good money on the speakers....they are your most lasting piece in the HT. Also, SONY is very weak in their speaker design. They tend to be either hollow sounding or lacking depth. Check out the Paradigms mentioned above and also look into Klipsch towers.
Old 03-09-01, 09:36 PM

Re: SONY...Ugh!

Originally posted by ngp
As stated above...spend good money on the speakers....they are your most lasting piece in the HT. Also, SONY is very weak in their speaker design. They tend to be either hollow sounding or lacking depth. Check out the Paradigms mentioned above and also look into Klipsch towers.
outside of their trinitron tube, name one thing sony isn't weak in????
Old 03-10-01, 04:51 AM

I highly recommend you try out Klipsch. The money is WELL WORTH it!!
Old 03-11-01, 02:58 PM

jbl jbl jbl

great speakers at great prices...and, forget the neighbors, get the sub. You're missing out on a big part of home theater if you skip the sub and you dont have to turn it up all the way...if you dont get the sub, you're not getting true 5.1. A JBL 10 in runs around $250...the 12in runs around $299.