Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Looking for a new TV...in the $500 range..

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Looking for a new TV...in the $500 range..

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-01, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

plus or minus about 100...

Any recommendations on what to get/what to avoid?
Old 03-02-01, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Depends what size you want.. On the high end (just over 500 with a little negotiating ) would be a 27" Sony WEGA...

I have one and love it... If you need a bigger screen, I am sure there are options, but cannot help there.
Old 03-02-01, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 960 Likes on 667 Posts
personally for me vvega. once you go flat you can't go back.
Old 03-02-01, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I am looking for somethig at least 27... the wega would be nice... but unfortunatly my wife doesn't care for the style of it...the silver. I was looking at a JVC D series... I think the 201 was decent... anyone have this? How is it? Any issues that popped up?
Old 03-02-01, 02:46 PM
Cool New Member

In your price range, I would suggest either a 32 inch Toshiba Cinema Series or a 27 inch Sony Wega. The Wega definitely has a better picture, but is also much more expensive. The Toshiba is a very nice TV, but it doesn't offer the flat display.
Old 03-02-01, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Liver&Onions,

My wife felt similarly and also wondered why I wanted to spend the extra bucks on the flat screen. We went to the stores and compared the pictures. She was sold.

Now she wants a 36" VVega for another room...
Old 03-02-01, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeha, I guess onc I get her in there looking at them she might change her opinion...she finally agreed that DVD looks better than VHS on our crappy TV...wait till she see's it on a good tv...
Old 03-02-01, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Liver&Onions
I am looking for somethig at least 27... the wega would be nice... but unfortunatly my wife doesn't care for the style of it...the silver. I was looking at a JVC D series... I think the 201 was decent... anyone have this? How is it? Any issues that popped up?
I have the JVC 27" D-Series. I absolutely love it! We chose it over the 27" Wega because of the price difference and because of the weight of the Wega.

I am mostly concerned with sharpness and detail when it comes to the picture, and this TV is great for both of these.

Also, the JVC had all the features I was looking for: digital comb filter, 700 lines of resolution, front panel input (composite, front s-video would be nice), component input, S-Video input.

What prices have you found for the JVC? I got mine for ~389.00 at Circuit City. http://www.homebyfive.com has great deals on JVC gear, check 'em out.

I would only consider the Wega if you can get it close to $500. When I was looking, I couldn't find one cheaper than $700 (didn't look real hard tho)

[Edited by Jabx on 03-02-01 at 01:49 PM]
Old 03-02-01, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Wow, 389 seems like a great price... she shouldn't complain at that low price... I will check out my circuit city and see what it is... I haven't looked much yet, but I definatly will now.. is that the 501 or 201? Is the only difference PIP?
Old 03-02-01, 06:56 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Liver&Onions
Wow, 389 seems like a great price... she shouldn't complain at that low price... I will check out my circuit city and see what it is... I haven't looked much yet, but I definatly will now.. is that the 501 or 201? Is the only difference PIP?
I have the 201. I *think* PIP is the only difference, but you might want to look at JVC's website to verify.