Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Looking for HDTV ready tv's

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Looking for HDTV ready tv's

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-01, 10:00 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm looking for a new tv that is HDTV compatible, 43 inches and above for a 25 x 25 room. I've looked at the Toshiba Cinema Series 43 and 55 inch models. I'm afraid the 55 inch will be too big. I also tested out the Sony 53 inch with the DRC--- I think the picture may be better, but can I justify the cost difference? Help and input (other tv's will be considered also) greatly appreciated.
Old 02-28-01, 10:07 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

What's your budget and why do you think 55" is too big for a 25x25 room?
Old 02-28-01, 10:11 PM
Cool New Member

I can spend whatever my wife will let me!!! I was looking to stay under $2600 or so. I'm afraid that I would be sitting to close to a very large screen.
Old 02-28-01, 10:17 PM

Simple answer.

Mitsubishi 46807

Best picture quality, features, and price.

-=cysco
Old 02-28-01, 10:20 PM
Cool New Member

Where can I find out about the Mitsubshi? Why are you sold on it? More details please.
Old 02-28-01, 10:24 PM

Actually I suggest the Mitsubishi 55807 for around $2800 or the 55907 for a lot bit more.

You only need to be 11.5 feet from a 55" screen. I have the 55807 and it's an awesome TV. I tried them all and went with the Mits.

Here is a link to a picture of my setup...

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...threadid=82371

[Edited by palebluedot on 02-28-01 at 08:44 PM]
Old 02-28-01, 10:36 PM

Mitsubishi has been making HD sets longer than anyone. They are on their 3rd generation while everyone else is on their second. Mitsubishi HD sets are widely regarded as having the best picture quality. (next to the Elite Pioneer models which are serious cash money)They have tons of inputs, an awesome menu system and respectable speakers.

I suggest the 46 inch model because of its size. I have one in a room roughly the same size as yours and it is perfect. I looked at the 55 inch, but that TV took up some serious real-estate. I also thought the 46 inch set had a sharper picture, but it could have bee the way the sets were set up.

I'll be posting some pictures of my new set-up later this evening if you are interested in seeing how a 46 inch looks in a real room. Also, check audioreview.com for other thoughts.

-=cysco
Old 02-28-01, 10:45 PM
Cool New Member

My wife still watches alot of video tapes. This should be considered. Our cable here is not high def-- only a few digital channels yet. She thinks we should get a 4:3 tv.
Old 02-28-01, 10:50 PM

HDTV

I too am looking for a new TV...possibly HD. Have you checked out the Toshiba 43 inch H70 and HX70? They look promising to me,and both are 4x3 HD ready.
Old 02-28-01, 10:51 PM

I suggest if you are going HDTV get a 16x9.
The Toshiba 56" would be GREAT for your room and cost.

Now I know you mention wanting 4x3, but atleast go check out the "feel" of 16x9 before you decide. You may be suprised. I watch more tv shows than dvds but love my 16x9 set. It does a great job stretching it and most people wouldn't be able to tell a difference (except maybe be impressed by the look!).
Old 02-28-01, 11:02 PM

Originally posted by briank
I suggest if you are going HDTV get a 16x9.
The Toshiba 56" would be GREAT for your room and cost.

Now I know you mention wanting 4x3, but atleast go check out the "feel" of 16x9 before you decide. You may be suprised. I watch more tv shows than dvds but love my 16x9 set. It does a great job stretching it and most people wouldn't be able to tell a difference (except maybe be impressed by the look!).

Yes definitely go with the 16x9 TV.

[Edited by palebluedot on 02-28-01 at 09:08 PM]
Old 02-28-01, 11:06 PM
Cool New Member

43 inches is probably a minimum. I'm trying to get a feel as to which tv has better picture quality with all sources--the most effective line doublers, etc. I'm also torn with the idea of 4:3 versus 16:9. All opinions welcome.
Old 02-28-01, 11:07 PM

Don't be torn on the idea. Go with the 16x9 set. The stretch modes look just fine. The first time you watch an anamorphic DVD on a 16x9 screen you will never look back. You will also be ready for the future.

[Edited by palebluedot on 02-28-01 at 09:10 PM]
Old 02-28-01, 11:22 PM

Agreed. Go 16x9 or don't go HD. The whole point of buying a HDTV now is to be prepared for the day when HD signals are mainstream. Since HD signals are broadcast in 16x9 a 4x3 set will display black bars at the top and bottom. This is likely to lead to "burn in" thus ruining the set. I would hate for you to drop $2k+ on a TV only to want to upgrade again in a couple years.

I've also recently read that the governing body in charge of HDTV is making companies like Toshiba stop calling their 4:3 sets HDTV. Apparently in order to be an official HDTV, the set must be 16:9. This is probably why Toshiba's 4:3 set is getting very cheap. I wouldn't be surprised to see all manufacturers go 16:9 on all their HD sets in the near future.

-=cysco
Old 03-02-01, 09:30 PM
Cool New Member

I still don't think you guys have given me enough information. Where are the best deals on these tv's?
Old 03-03-01, 05:25 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
on my 53" sony, i get a 16:9 picture that about 48". i was afraid it would be too big when i bought it, sitting about 9' away, but in the last few weeks i've been moving my chair closer and closer. now i sit about 61/2-7' away. if i could have fit the 61" down the stairs i would have loved to have had that.

since i'm a classic movie buff, i watch a lot of pre-widescreen movies ( as well as plenty of lbx'd stuff that isn't anamorphic ) so the 4:3 wasn't a problem for me.
i like my set more & more all the time, even though they just announced the next generation thats replacing it this summer-4 weeks after i bought it. oh well,
still having a blast using it.

i can understand all the enthusiasm for 16:9 sets here, but everytime i see a widescreen mits set up, playing a dvd, it seems to have a really bad picture. a lot of jaggies. this could be because the clowns in the showroom have no clue how to set these up properly. a very distinct possibility.
everybody that already owns one seems to have a high regard for them, though.

just make sure whatever you look at is connected properly in the store, and is exploiting it's true capabilities.

Old 03-05-01, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I love my Mits 55807 16:9. I would recommend staying away from the 4:3 for the reasons above. Basically you are buying planned planned obsolence as all HDTV programming is 16:9. And DVDs look awesome filling the entire screen, or at least most of it.
Where to buy? That's a trickier question. You just have to shop around. For me, I found the best deal at a non-chain store. For example, places like The Good Guys and Ken Cranes had the highest price. I shopped high & low in about a 70 mile radius, and got the best price at an independant dealer about 5 minutes away from me. Plus they threw in a 5 year extended warranty for no charge.
Do not buy online. You'll have a heck of a time getting any satisfaction if you need service.
Old 03-05-01, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
do a pricesearch on the internet to find the best deal
get a print-out
take it to sears and have them price-match.

the big benefit is you have a 30 day return policy and they seem pretty easy in general to deal with, not to mention there should be one near you.

Old 03-05-01, 03:37 PM

Here's how I got my Mitsubishi 46807:

Went to The Good Guys B&M store with my folks. They ended up getting the 46807. I was still debating if I wanted one as well. I ended up going back the next day and they had one that had been returned. They gave me 20% off for it being opened and I was out the door. When they deliverd the set and hooked it up I noticed a small line of pixels out on the bottom corner of the picture. (probably why the set was returned in the first place) So, they sent a tech out to look at it. The tech couldn't fix it so they gave me a brand new set at no aditional charge. So, I got a brand new $2600 set for $2000.

What's the lesson of this story? Don't be afraid to buy open boxed TVs from reputable B&M stores. If there is anything wrong with it they'll either fix it or replace it. Note: there is a difference between open box and demo unit. DO NOT purchase demo TVs, those things have been used 24/7 for months or years. Most open box products have been returned because the customer changed their mind. Most retailers do not allow returned merchandise to be sold as new so you get a discount.

-=cysco
Old 03-06-01, 01:35 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

anyone know the formula to determine how far you need to sit from a particular sized tv. is it something like 3 1/2 times the height?
Old 03-06-01, 07:55 AM
Suspended

If you are looking to evaluate TV's here is a site that has each manufacturer broken out with its own thread, and hundreds, even thousands of pieces of information from owners. It was invaluable to me when making a decision.

http://www.hometheaterspot.com/
Old 03-06-01, 08:17 AM
Cool New Member

Just bought the Toshiba 55hx80 for 2499.00 at tweeter. This TV is great. I look at it this way with the 16:9 that it will be years before they have this HD up and going. So by that time I will need a new TV and the prices will be great on the widescreens.