DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

WOW, DVD AUDIO KICKS EXTREME ARSE!!!

Old 02-21-01, 08:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Home of the 2009 Stanley Cup & Vince Lombardi trophy!!!
Anyone get any of these yet? It's 5.1 music. Basically, a CD, with DVD quality sound. I have the Stone Temple Pilots:Core DVD Audio, and the sound is un-Friggin'-believable! It's so thick sounding. Man, I can't wait 'til next week, Metallica's Black disc comes out. This is as exciting as when CD's first came out.
Old 02-21-01, 08:31 PM

Will these discs play on a normal CD or DVD player?

Do you just have to have the typical DD/DTS decoder?
Old 02-21-01, 08:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I got one for my dad. It was Livingston Taylor so I guess it wasn't as dynamic and impressive as Stone Temple Pilots would be.

Old 02-21-01, 08:34 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by heimerSWT
Will these discs play on a normal CD or DVD player?

Do you just have to have the typical DD/DTS decoder?
Your DVD player must be able to play DVD-Audio. There are a few models out now that do.
Old 02-21-01, 08:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

They play in any DVD Player, but not CD players. I just have the DD decoder built in. It's like getting a dvd of a cd.
Old 02-21-01, 08:38 PM

Originally posted by dvdsteve2000
They play in any DVD Player, but not CD players. I just have the DD decoder built in. It's like getting a dvd of a cd.
Am I wrong? I could swear your DVD plaver must have DVD-Audio capability.
Old 02-21-01, 08:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think all DVD players will play DVD-Audio.

DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I believe they will play in any dvd player, but in order to get the higher encoding rate and better sound quality of dvd-audio you need a player that can decode the dvd-audio signal. If you play it in a standard dvd player you will only get cd audio sound.
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I got my player in Jan. of '99, so my player is a little bit older(DTS wasn't even out yet), so I was asking the same question. I was told they play in all players, so I bought it, and it played fine.

[Edited by dvdsteve2000 on 02-21-01 at 06:45 PM]
Old 02-21-01, 09:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Anyone know if they will work in a Playstation 2? Where did you get it? How much was it?
Old 02-21-01, 09:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

no, they will not work in a playstation. the cheapest dvd audio player is at least $350 to $400 and that's for a low end model.
Old 02-21-01, 09:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by broadwayblue
no, they will not work in a playstation. the cheapest dvd audio player is at least $350 to $400 and that's for a low end model.
Now I'm confused. I DID think you had to buy a specific DVD-Audio player for the DVD Audio discs, but DVDSteve just posted that they worked fine in his old machine. Anyone else have info?
Old 02-21-01, 09:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by broadwayblue
They'll work in a ps2 as well as they work in dvdsteve2000's player. Or at least close.

Note that, as has been pointed out above, dvdsteve2000 isn't listening to dvd audio, he's listening to the DD portion of dvd audio discs.
Old 02-21-01, 09:47 PM

Sigh, of course your player has to support DVD Audio to play it. If you bought a DVD player over 6 months ago, it doesn't have it. A lot of people confuse music on dvd's with DVD Audio, when DVD Audio is a different format altogether. In summary, a DVD Audio disc has no pictures or video on it, is it music only. Make sure you aren't confusing the two.

Andrew
Old 02-21-01, 09:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

what i was saying in my post above is that although the dvd player may play the dvd-audio disc, unless you have a dvd player that supports dvd-audio you will not be hearing the dvd audio tracks in their highest quality...most likely you would be hearing alternate cd-audio quality tracks also encoded on the disc to make it backwards compatible.

so yes, it might play in your standard dvd player, but what you are hearing is not dvd-audio.
Old 02-21-01, 10:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Aren't DVD-Audio players still like $2,000? I would guess they are hearing the backward compatibility part of the disc.

Dave
Old 02-21-01, 10:04 PM
Uber Member

From Jim Taylor's DVD Faq:
http://www.thedigitalbits.com/officialfaq.html#1.12

"DVD-Audio is a separate format from DVD-Video. DVD-Audio discs can be designed to work in DVD-Video players, but it's possible to make a DVD-Audio disc that won't play at all in a DVD-Video player, since the DVD-Audio specification includes new formats and features, with content stored in a separate "DVD-Audio zone" on the disc (the AUDIO_TS directory) that DVD-Video players never look at. New DVD-Audio players are needed, or new "universal players" that can play both DVD-Video and DVD-Audio discs. Universal players are also called VCAPs (video-capable audio players)."

"DVD-Audio (and universal) players will work with existing receivers. They output PCM and Dolby Digital, and some will support the optional DTS and DSD formats. However, most current receivers can't decode the high-definition, multichannel PCM audio (see 3.6.1 for details), and even if they could it can't be carried on standard digital audio connections. DVD-Audio players with high-end digital-to-analog converters (DACs) can only be hooked up to receivers with two-channel or 6-channel analog inputs, but some quality will be lost if the receiver converts back to digital for processing. Future receivers with improved digital connections such as IEEE 1394 (FireWire) will be needed to use the full digital resolution of DVD-Audio."

Moving to DVD and Home Theater Hardware forum.
Old 02-21-01, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I saw a panasonic dvd-audio player in Hi-Fi Buys for about $500. They are coming down in price. The sony high end audio format SACD is still pricier, although it too is falling pricewise and can be purchased for just over a grand.
Old 02-21-01, 11:06 PM
X
Administrator

I just bought a DVD-Audio/DVD player last week from Crutchfield. It's a Panasonic DVD-A7D that was marked down to $300. They don't have this model on their site anymore, but they still have a higher model for $500.
Old 02-22-01, 01:41 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

This is what I got from Yamaha Audio in Japan, cause I asked the same question as everyone here did to DVD-Audio.

In reply to your inquiry, if the DVD player has the 6 (5.1) channel analogue outputs, you can connect them to the 6 channel external input terminal of the RX-V2095

If i wanted to listen to Full DVD-Audio sound, what do I need to upgrade?

If "Full DVD-Audio sound" means about high specification of DVD-Audio disc of 192 kHz sampling frequency, the RX-V2095 will be a bit weak for the high frequency.Should you require full reproduction of high spec DVD-Audio, you will need to have the following system.

1. Amplifier's Frequency Response (CD etc, to MAIN L/R) should be 10 Hz to 100kHz, -3dB.

Yamaha model: which has the above specification: DSP-AX1 (RX-V1), DSP-AX2 (RX-V3000), DSP-AX10 (RX-V1000), DSP-AX8 (RX-V800), DSP-A5 (RX-V596).

2. Frequency Response of Speakers has to cover up to 100 kHz
Yamaha model: Not available. You may add a competitor's supper tweeter on your speaker system.

Because you can connect the DVD-Audio player to the RX-V2095, you may try to connect them and listen to the sound of its reproduction.If not satisfied with the sound, you may try to have a complete system for DVD-Audio.

Thats what they said about DVD-Audio!Hope it help's to all the Yamaha amp and receiver owners and also other brand of amp and reveicer owner!

[Edited by Kumar J on 02-21-01 at 11:44 PM]
Old 02-22-01, 10:47 AM

Also, keep in mind that if you connect a source through the 5.1 inputs on the back of your receiver, you will lose all bass management. DVD audio players cannot be connected through an optical or coaxial connection. Whether you have full range speakers or not, the player would send the full range information to your speakers. Almost nobody has 5 full range speakers. Many have sub/satellite setups or small center speakers or small rear speakers. You cannot send all the lows to the subwoofer. DVD audio would not sound as good therefore (or at least not as dramatically better as many would expect). Just know what you are getting into if you want to be one of the early DVD audio adopters.
Old 02-22-01, 02:08 PM

In summary, a DVD Audio disc has no pictures or video on it, is it music only.
Well, . . .I just bought Gordon Goodwin's Big Phat Band - Swingin' for the Fences (Dolby Digital / DTS / DVD-Audio 5.1) and it contains a 15 min. "Behind the Scene's" Video where you get to meet the group. Gordon also added an Audio Commentary track to each of the 10 tracks of music in the DVD.

1. SING SANG SUNG 2. COUNT BUBBA 3. SAMBA DEL GRINGO 4. BACK TWO PART INVENTION IN D MINOR 5. I REMEMBER 6. SWINGIN' FOR THE FENCES 7. MUEVA LOS HUESOS 8. SECOND CHANCES 9. THERE'S THE RUB 10. A FEW GOOD MEN

All in all, it's around 60 mins. of outstanding Big Band music, highlighting different instruments in the Band, around you in glorious six-channel audio!

The DVD Auto-plays and defaults to Dolby Digital 5.1 (Panasonic DVD-A115). You can press the 'menu' button immediately after the Silverline logo, to access DTS 5.1 or DVD-Audio 5.1 (if you have the setup) format. In my case, both (DD & DTS) formats are extremely crystal clear, detailed and dynamic!!!

Gordon specifically created the 5.1 mix so you would be in the middle of the band, and he identifies who's located left & right surround channels in the "Behind the Scene" video.

Highly recommended, many places are back-ordered except CDNow, which is where I bought it!!

By the way, if you want to see an actual Music Video of the first track "Sing Sang Sung", it's found in the Music section of Issue #5 of InsiderDVD - the last freebie 2-DVD magazine.

Phil

[Edited by Phil I on 02-22-01 at 02:09 PM]
Old 02-22-01, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I just ordered Deep Purple:Machine Head on DVD audio, and it has some video features as well. Metallica's Black album next week on DVD audio!!!
Old 02-22-01, 08:05 PM

There seems to be a lot of misconceptions here.

First of all DVD audio is a new high resolution surround format. Secondly some DVD audio discs also include a standard DD 5.1 option as well as the better quality DVD Audio option.

If you buy a DVD audio disc that also has a DD 5.1 option then that DD 5.1 will play in any standard DVD player but it is not the same as a DVD Audio track.

If you want to listen to the superior DVD Audio track then you need a DVD Audio player that will decode the DVD Audio bistream and send it to your receiver.

For the purpose of listening to a standard DD 5.1 track you can connect the DVD Audio player using a digital connection as the DD 5.1 bitstream can be decoded by you receiver assuming you have a DD surround receiver.

If you want to listen to the DVD Audio track using a DVD Audio player then you have to let it decode the bitstream and pass it on to the receiver using the six discreet channel inputs on your receiver assuming it has them.

Finally if you are listening to the DD 5.1 track whether it be using a standard DVD player or a DVD Audio player you are not getting the benefit of the DVD Audio format. As I mentioned above in order to do so you would need to use a DVD Audio player connected to your receiver using the six channel inputs. Also DD 5.1 is not a standard part of the DVD Audio specification, so all DVD Audio discs may not have a DD 5.1 option. Those that don't will require the DVD Audio/six input setup mentioned above.

[Edited by cloud on 02-22-01 at 06:07 PM]
Old 02-22-01, 10:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Don't remember if this was touched on but....

what about DTS CD's?

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.