DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Recommendations on a prog. scan DVD player?

Old 02-18-01, 09:53 PM

Looking for a progressive scan DVD player. I was eyeing the Toshiba SD-6200 dual tray model. Is this one a pretty decent model? I was also looking for some Mitsubishi models, but can't seem to find any. Anyone have a say in a make or model?
Old 02-18-01, 10:25 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

The Toshiba is a nice unit. I have the Mits. DD6000 which is a Toshiba 5109 with Mitsubishi covers, but Mits sold it cheaper. I love the player, it has awesome sound and picture and I have never had a problem with the hardware or with DVD playback.
Old 02-20-01, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Pioneer DV-37 ($625)
Harman Kardon DVD-50 (I think) ($600)

The Harman is a newer generation player. Progressive scan, 5 disk changer, MP3, and all. You should be able to get it for under $600. http://www.dealtime.com Not so sure about it's performance though, but if it's consistant with other HK products it's well worth a look.

The Pioneer is in my opinion the best for the money right now. Just an incredible player. Got my pops to buy one, and he loves it. TRUE progressive scan player.
Old 02-20-01, 04:29 PM

Denon is about to come out with a new prog. scan player, the 2800, that has a new chipset (Silicon Image/DVDO PureProgressive (SIL503) Decoding Engine). I think it is supposed to street at the end of this month. It would be well worth checking out.

http://www.del.denon.com/catalog/products.asp?l=1&c=4
Old 02-20-01, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by knit-witt
Denon is about to come out with a new prog. scan player, the 2800, that has a new chipset (Silicon Image/DVDO PureProgressive (SIL503) Decoding Engine). I think it is supposed to street at the end of this month. It would be well worth checking out.

http://www.del.denon.com/catalog/products.asp?l=1&c=4
Wow, thanks for the link on that. Impressive specs on the audio portion too. Too bad it doesn't do DVD-Audio though.