DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Anyone Using the ISCAN PRO?

Old 02-18-01, 08:09 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

gonna be returning the toshiba 5109 in a couple days.the picture was generally good, but i still see room for improvement-especially when displaying video-based footage.
i'm considering either a progressive scan (maybe the dennon coming out soon or a sony later this year) or the DVDO Iscan Pro. has anyone used this yet? i'm very interested in this option as i still have a few dozen LD's i don't want to part with and am looking for something to boost their picture quality on a new big-screen. i understand the drawback for dvd's is the d/a/d conversion that will lose a little res. but it woulnd't seem like that big of a trade off.
anybody find a good price on this
-or some place that would accept returns (if it isn't the magic bullet i expect it to be)
TIA
Old 02-20-01, 09:22 AM

I've heard good things about this etailer who sells the Iscan:

http://www.hometheaterworld.com/linedoublers.html

You will have to call them to find out their discount price as they are prohibited from advertising it.

I doubt the Iscan will produce a better picture than the 5109 DVD player you have, the 5109 probably has a slight edge in picture quality. But the Iscan will help with all of your NTSC sources and as such is a great bargain in line doublers. The upcoming Denon looks like an awesome player on paper, although the demo at CES had some problems. We'll have to wait and see. I would probably go for the Iscan in your situation. It will improve your laserdisk and other sources. Then you can wait and see how the other new players coming soon will shake out.