Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Advice

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-01, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
yo, i just bought a brand new sony wega trinitron 27" and a sony dvd 360 player.
what my friend says that i should do is hook the dvd player up to tha tv by composite video since that will give tha best quality.

is he right??
where should i connect my psx too, and what would the best alternative be for that??
Old 02-17-01, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You want to use component cables, not composite. Component cables are 3 cables carrying three different video signals.
Old 02-17-01, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

First of all do you have a receiver or are you connecting them directly to the TV?

If you have a receiver what kind of and how many inputs/outputs does it have.

If you are connecting directly to the TV how many inputs and what kind does it have for audio/video.

As far the type of connections goes there is a possibility of three for your DVD player assuming you are connecting directly to the TV - composite audio/video, composite audio and S-Video, composite audio and component video.

Composite audio/video consists of red, white (audio) and yellow (video) jacks. S-Video is a single black connection with several holes/pins. Component video I believe is three seperate cables. There is a big jump in quality going from composite to S-Video, but typically a much smaller jump going from S-Video to Component (although there are some who disagree with this).

If your DVD player and TV supports component by all means go with it, however, S-Video is also pretty good. The PSX will have to be connected using either RF or composite audio/video or composite audio/S-Video (although if you want to use S-Video you will have to buy a special PSX S-Video cable which can br purchased from any major store that sells Video game stuff).
Old 02-17-01, 06:50 PM

I would recommend that you connect the DVD player directly with the TV via the following inputs (ranked from highest to lowest video quality):

1. Component Video

2. S-Video

3. Composite Video (not recommended)

Dave