Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Help getting home theater system..please?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Help getting home theater system..please?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-01, 03:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What could I get on a limited budget that would still be a decent sytem and that would last awhile? I'd need the speakers and I guess a receiver for dts (anything else?). I have put it of because I live in an apartment now and have no clue where I'll put the rear speakers or how often I'll get to really turn it up without pissing off my neighbors. Still, I'd like to get something to HEAR my dvds. Any suggestions of an intro system and what it might run?

Thanks.
Old 02-14-01, 03:28 PM

How much you lookin to spend?
Old 02-14-01, 03:39 PM

Whatever I can get by with. It's only an apartment, so I don't want to go nuts yet.
Old 02-14-01, 05:14 PM

Here are some suggestions-

For Receiver:

http://www.onkyousa.com/show_model.c...rs&m=TX-DS575x

For Speakers:

http://store.yahoo.com/htd/levthrespeak.html
Old 02-14-01, 05:53 PM

That Onkyo receiver I suggested above can be found for about $400 shipped online - you can't really beat it in this price range.

The Home Theater Direct speaker prices are listed at the site. You could skip their sub and go with the Sony (see thread about sub with cult following). I think the Sony has been found for $129(?).
Old 02-14-01, 05:58 PM

Thanks very much for your help. I'll look through your links this evening. Can I ask one further question though? Will I have to upgrade all of my stereo components if I get this receiver?

I'll post again after I've had time to look at your suggestions. Thanks again.
Old 02-14-01, 11:26 PM

>>>Can I ask one further question though? Will I have to upgrade all of my stereo components if I get this receiver?
Old 02-14-01, 11:56 PM

Here is another site you should consult for more ideas on budget home theater systems:

http://www.cheaphometheater.com/
Old 02-15-01, 09:34 AM
Admin Emeritus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I had the same dilemma... this is what I got:

Speakers: Sony SA-VE315 (five small satellite speakers with powered subwoofer, ~$225)
Receiver: Yamaha DD-5250 (100W x 5, DTS, DD 5.1, ~$400)

It may be low-end, but it's the first home theater setup I've had, and I think it sounds amazing. If you want, you could save ~$100 or so by getting the Yamaha DD-5240 (70W x 5)... I figured that if I got a better receiver now, then I wouldn't have to worry about getting a more powerful one down the road if I wanted to upgrade my system.

I used http://www.audioreview.com to check out consumer reviews before going to pick anything up. Also, I found both as "open box items"... people had returned them for various reasons, and they were being sold at a discount. Best Buy's warranty still applies for "open box items," so if I ever have a problem (haven't yet... everything looked new), Best Buy will still take care of it.

Also, from what people say at audioreview.com, Sears will pricematch with e-stores... Best Buy will only pricematch with brick & mortar stores (B&M's, stores that have physical locations). So, you could price shop online and take the printout to Sears to have the convenience of being able to return any problematic hardware to a B&M, instead of mailing it in somewhere.

There are also other costs to consider... you'll want an optical cable to be able to utilize DTS sound, and those cost money. Speaker stands also cost money. I picked up a surge protector, too. And THEN, of course, you'll want DVDs! There are good deals to be had, but be careful... it's easy to overspend. Happy hunting!

(Added with the edit: I live in an apartment, too... my futon isn't up against a wall, so I scooted it forward towards my TV and put my rear speakers behind the futon. I thought about wall/ceiling mounting them, but then I'd have cables crossing through traffic areas.)

[Edited by michael_sharma on 02-15-01 at 06:37 AM]