Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Ok...If using optical digital audio on my DVD, do I need the composite hookup too????

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Ok...If using optical digital audio on my DVD, do I need the composite hookup too????

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-01, 08:20 AM
JLB
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think I know the answer, but I wanted to pose this questions here. I am considering upgrading my DVD player to receiver cables and if I could avoid the composite hookup then I could upgrade the video cable a bit more. Yes, I know I should go directly to the TV, etc, etc, but I won't go into that now.

Please just offer your opinions on the question above. Thanks!
Old 02-08-01, 08:49 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

No you dont need the composite connection if using the optical.
Old 02-08-01, 08:51 AM
JLB
DVD Talk Special Edition

But is the composite not necessary for some certain types of discs with some certain type of sampling rate thingy.....I thought it was 96khz or something like that, I don't remember.....
Old 02-08-01, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

The optical connection mearly passes the bit-stream data for the audio to your receiver which then decodes it into an analog signal. The main reason you would use the composite is if your DVD player has built in DD and DTS decoders and your receiver does not have DD or DTS decoding but has multi-channel input. The other reason is if you don't have a receiver at all and you need to connect the DVD player directly to the TV. For most receivers these days the DAC stage is using 24bit DAC's that go up to 192Khz and using 32 bit DSP chips. You really don't need to worry about sampling frequencies, it's not a case where you are going to notice degredation of sound quality or anything.

Old 02-08-01, 09:46 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by JLB
But is the composite not necessary for some certain types of discs with some certain type of sampling rate thingy.....I thought it was 96khz or something like that
I believe you are correct -- 96/24 is only output through the analog R/L outputs, so if you have the discs, then you should use this connection.
Old 02-08-01, 12:42 PM
JLB
DVD Talk Special Edition

I believe you are correct -- 96/24 is only output through the analog R/L outputs, so if you have the discs, then you should use this connection.
DigIt,

That is exactly what I was trying to refer to. But this is what I am curious about now. What are 96/24 discs....Are there any available (yet)....I don't even know if I have any.....
Old 02-08-01, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think they're only audio CDs, and I don't know about their availability -- I've never seen one, for that matter. Maybe try a store that carries DTS CDs? Anyone else chime in?
Old 02-08-01, 02:10 PM
JLB
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm not too concerned, I guess, about these kind of CDs, then. I have a DTS CD (Police GH), which is awesome, but I rarely buy CDs these days. For the same money to buy a 2-channel stereo recording of music that I would listen to every now and then, I can buy a 5.1 surround movie filled with awesome special effects, sound, room-shaking bass, etc , etc, etc.

I think I will deal with my "basic" cables for now (not counting my optical digital cable) and then upgrade to a single higher quality video cable.