Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

4:3 HD Ready TVs: Worth it?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

4:3 HD Ready TVs: Worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-01, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a friend at work who wants to get an HD ready TV. The TV he is looking at is a 4:3 TV. I'm saying that if he's going to look at high definition, he should be looking at 16:9. His budget is only about $2000 for now. What I said was for him to postpone picking up this TV until 16:9 becomes more affordable.

Anyone have any thoughts about this?
Old 02-06-01, 11:03 AM

quote:<HR>Originally posted by John Sy:
I have a friend at work who wants to get an HD ready TV. The TV he is looking at is a 4:3 TV. I'm saying that if he's going to look at high definition, he should be looking at 16:9. His budget is only about $2000 for now. What I said was for him to postpone picking up this TV until 16:9 becomes more affordable.

Anyone have any thoughts about this?
<HR>

I would have to agree with you. I think it would be a true waste of money to get a 4:3 HDTV. It will pretty much be obsolete once you get it home. If he doesn't have the money now, save it for something better. They will only get cheaper with time. Also, there are many deals out there where you can make no payments/no interest for a year. I did that route, now I'm scrambling to rake together some cash, but I love my TV!! Too bad I can only eat Macaroni & Cheese for the next 9 months.
Old 02-06-01, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well, I have to agree.
I bought a \/\/ega today because,and only because, my current TV is about 3 years old(not that old) but doesn't have S or Component inputs.
I was looking at the Panasonic HD 4:3 and while the picture was better than the TV I bought, it was also $600 more. I'd have to say he should wait until 16x9 is more affordable.
Old 02-06-01, 12:38 PM

The Toshiba 40H80 is HD and wide. It can be had for less than $1900 at proactiveelectronics.com.

I would never go back to 4:3. Unless it coud do anamorphic squeeze.
Old 02-06-01, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Also bear in mind that most of the 4x3 HDTV's have compatability problems with High Definition STB's!

------------------
------------------
My DVD/LD List
My Home Theater Equipment
Old 02-06-01, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 393 Likes on 281 Posts
Tell your friend to get used to the black bars on the screen, because he'll have them 99% of the time in 2006 when everthing (new) is broadcast in HDTV / wide screen. A decent strecth mode on a 16:9 now makes up for this later.
Later!
Old 02-06-01, 05:38 PM

Yeah, I basically told him to save his money for a 16:9 HD ready TV when the time comes.

Just a quick question though: are we guaranteed that all HDTV programming in the future will be 16:9? I guess 16:9 is part of the HDTV spec right?
Old 02-06-01, 06:47 PM

16x9 is supposed to be part of the new specs for HD. Also prices should be taking a big drop in a few months. Panasonic announced a few weeks ago that they'll have a 47" widescreen HDTV (or HD ready) with a list price of $2000. I'd guess maybe a street price of $1500 if we're lucky, unless it's so popular it's backordered and the stores are selling them for close to sticker.

Old 02-07-01, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 46 Likes on 28 Posts
Well I have to disagree with you guys. I have a Proscan 36800 HR which is HD ready according to some people and not to others. I purchased it with a Proscan PSHD105 which is the proscan model for the RCA DTC-100 Direct TV box. It send the HI Def Signal to the TV using a VGA connection and the picture is amazing. I also use the other VGA for my DC and it looks great as well. Being that most shows will be 4:3 for a while this made the most since. However when I do get my house the Elite 610 HD will be mine. And this will make a nice TV for the office.

------------------
Michael
Sega.Net bigdaddymh
Your the man now dawg!
I'm Fresh Like A Can of Picante
The 8th Warrior of the Other Forum

Wow look at all those DVD's
And those are cool CD's
Do not click me.