Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Sony DVP-S500D Help Requested

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Sony DVP-S500D Help Requested

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-01, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi all,

I am using the above player to connect (optically) to a Technics Decoder (AH-C500D) and a Technics (SA-X720) Receiver. What settings do I need to use to neutralize the player's built-in recorder? Or, if there is a copy of the manual online I'd appreciate it (I can't find mine now when I need it of course) Thanks in advance for replies.
Old 02-06-01, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Don't have any knowledge of this particular model, but since nobody else has answered:
I don't think you need to 'neutralize' the built in 'recorder' (I'm assuming you mean decoder). The digital bitstream should also be output through the digital coaxial or digital optical output. Simply connect this to your decoder, and then connect the 6-channel output from your decoder to your receiver, and make sure the receiver is set to the DVD 6-channel input.
Most players will output the pure bitstream as well as internally decode it for 6-channel output and downconvert it for stereo output. In any case, you can connect both the digital and analog outputs at the same time if you'd like, or just choose one or the other. All of the outputs (except DTS) should function simultaneously.
If you are using only the digital output and are still having problems, post a reply and hopefull someone with more experience can give you a hand.
Old 02-06-01, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

If your using the optical output from the DVD player you are not using the decoder that is built into the player. You will only use the decoder if you use the discreet 6 RCA cables that come out of the player. Therefore you do not need to turn off the decoder. Just use the proper configuration.

------------------
Mike
Old 02-06-01, 06:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks for the replies - I'll try the suggestions tonight...
Old 02-07-01, 12:23 PM

There are three options under the DIGITAL OUT menu:

PCM
DOLBY DIGITAL/PCM
D-PCM

If you want to "turn off" the DD decoder inside your DVP-S500D, set this option to DOLBY DIGITAL/PCM.

Jamison
Old 02-11-01, 12:38 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Found my manual finally and have the player setup properly Thanks for the replies.