Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

HT Separates Recommendations

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

HT Separates Recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-01, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can anyone recommend a good brand to buy separates from? One with a good price/performance ratio would be good - I've been looking at Adcom, NAD and B&K so far - but would like additional feedback. Thanks in advance for replies.
Old 01-30-01, 09:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

quote:<HR>Originally posted by stingo:
Can anyone recommend a good brand to buy separates from? One with a good price/performance ratio would be good - I've been looking at Adcom, NAD and B&K so far - but would like additional feedback. Thanks in advance for replies.
<HR>

All the brands you listed are well know and respected. What exactly are you looking for? Digital controllers/amplification, I assume?
Be a little more specific and let us know what your budget is, and I'll be more then happy to make some recomendations.
I recently delved into the world of seperates and auditioned a lot of gear in the past month or so. You'll never go back to the world of receivers, trust me.

------------------
DVD-O-Rama.com
DVD Reviews..with an attitude

Exterminate all rational thought
Old 01-30-01, 10:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

quote:<HR>Originally posted by DVD_O_Rama:

Be a little more specific and let us know what your budget is, and I'll be more then happy to make some recomendations.
<HR>

Well currently I have a Sony DVP-S500D optically feeding a Technics AH-C500D Processor/Technics SA-X720 Receiver (5 * 100 Watts). I also have a B&K ST-140 (2 * 100 Watts) that's not in use at the present time.

What I'd like is to have an A/V Preamp connected to an A/V Amp that stresses accuracy over power (would like both but if pressed would prefer accurate sound). Looking to spend around a grand (or under) for each part. Any ideas? Thanks for the help.
Old 01-31-01, 12:24 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

As far as price/performance go there's a really good deal that can be had at www.onecall.com on an older model Harman Kardon Signiture 2.0 Preamp Processor. It's DD/DTS and usually retails for around $2200 and they got it going for about $750 right now. I've got the matching 5 channel amp and it sounds beautiful. They had the 5 channel amp at www.harmanoutlet.com for $860 or something like that. For the price it's a hard combo to beat. I absolutely love the amp, I have only gotten it to clip my speakers once at an unreasonable listening level. I also have hard to drive speakers too. Anyhow. If you can still grab this combo it's VERY nice for the money. Otherwise I would definitely look towards these companies. Rotel, Marantz, and Anthem. They're all pretty good and have decent retails. There's a 5 channel marantz out there you can get for around $850 THX MA-9000 I believe. Rotel has always made nice amps/pre's, and Anthem is just about as musical of a home theater company as it gets. I also get some good time with Parasound, but I've never been impressed...

Let me know if you're going new or used and I'll see if I can find you anything nice.
Old 01-31-01, 08:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

quote:<HR>Originally posted by PoorBoy:
Let me know if you're going new or used and I'll see if I can find you anything nice.
<HR>

New is preferable, but won't turn my nose up at used... will look up the recs you mentioned thanks for the help.

[This message has been edited by stingo (edited January 31, 2001).]
Old 01-31-01, 11:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Good bang for the buck, incredibly quality, excellent sound = Marantz (I might be a tad partial because I own an AV 9000 and love it)

I would buy one of these amps (Marantz MA700) for each speaker you own (yes mono amps)

http://www.onecall.com/PID_747.htm

Then grab an AV 9000

http://ww2.onecall.com/About_00001000_21_65_0_43_0.htm

My second choice would be Adcom equipment, but they are a bit on the expensive side. I use to have some Adcom stuff and the sound quality was great, but I think you will be hard pressed to find anyone that will say anything bad about Marantz when looking at quality vs price.

edited to say your local Marantz dealer will bargain a bit. I bought my AV 9000 locally for $1500. Do not believe the crap that they ONLY sell at retail. I found it very hard to purchase online, maybe that has changed now?

[This message has been edited by 4KRG (edited January 31, 2001).]
Old 01-31-01, 11:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

quote:<HR>Originally posted by 4KRG:
Good bang for the buck, incredibly quality, excellent sound = Marantz (I might be a tad partial because I own an AV 9000 and love it)
[This message has been edited by 4KRG (edited January 31, 2001).]
<HR>

It seems the people at audioreview.com would agree - both are well-rated - will research them more for sure. Thanks.

Old 02-01-01, 12:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
stingo

I am sure the reciever crowd would argue with me all year on this, but if you want clarity and accuracy NOTHING beats multiple amps. A mono amp on each channel is the ultimate.

Personally I have Rotel amps (from back when they were all made in Japan) I have one stereo (2 channel) amp and the rest are mono. If I had it to do all over again and had a 5.1 channel system in mind from the start (I did not when I bought my 2 channel Rotel amp) I would go the MA 700's all around. I too am after CLEAR crisp sound in 2 channel and HT without breaking the bank, but I like loud too. I run B&W speakers in case you were curious. My taste for clear and crisp leads me to B&W everytime

I looked high and low and never found a single professional review that had anything bad to say about Marantz. I don't trust audioreview.com, but maybe I will make an exception here
Old 02-01-01, 09:46 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've had a both Adcom and NAD equipment, and both are good, although I preferred NAD a bit. I've kept the NAD (amps) stuff while trading out the Adcom for different stuff (Chiro). I'm now getting rid of the NAD amps (4 of them) to go with a Anthem MCA-5 5 channel amp, mainly to reduce the size of my system a bit. I would like to get the matching Anthem AVP 2 preamp/processor, but the prices are a bit high on that. You could try finding a used Chiro 802 preamp/processor, they go for cheap (relatively speaking) since the parent company is out of business, thats a bit of a risk however. I don't mind buying used on higher end gear as it seems to last much longer than cheap stuff. Just find out whats sounds good on your ears.

Dave
Old 02-01-01, 05:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

quote:<HR>Originally posted by 4KRG:
I don't trust audioreview.com, but maybe I will make an exception here
<HR>

Indeed - I feel the same way. This is version 1 of my HT setup so I know I'll be upgrading some parts eventually, but still would like to have good value for the dollar. Thanks for the suggestion - still investigating.
Old 02-01-01, 06:03 PM
Cool New Member

Check out the Brytson Sp-1 and 9bST Thx. I realize that these aren't cheap but the will last you forever. Comes with a 20years guarantee on both components. Plus you can disable the Av part of the preamp and it turns the Sp-1 into a Bp25 preamp. The 9bSt has 5 amp modules that are each have there own seperate power systems to reduce cross talk and result in an extremely high signal to noise ratio, especially for an 5 channel amp. As you can see I'm a big proponent of these components. I have shop near my house that has this setup in one of there rooms. I compared it to the Marantz recievers and several high end seperate systems. The Bryston was extremely transparent and clear at all fequencies. Keep in mind Bryston amps are famous for there pure amplification without music coloration, so if you have speakers with bad bass or shrill highs this amp will expose it. Hope this helps.

Scope!

[This message has been edited by Scope7.62 (edited February 01, 2001).]
Old 02-02-01, 07:54 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

quote:<HR>Originally posted by Scope7.62:
Check out the Brytson Sp-1 and 9bST Thx. I realize that these aren't cheap but the will last you forever.[This message has been edited by Scope7.62 (edited February 01, 2001).]
<HR>

They certainly aren't - not sure if my budget can stretch that far but it doesn't hurt to look. Thanks for the rec...

Old 02-02-01, 12:30 PM
Cool New Member

I figure buy the good stuff once, instead of the shitty stuff and then what you really wanted. Just my philosophy. Oh ya the SP-1's Rom chip and chircuit boards are upgradable for future changes in formats.

Scope!
Old 02-02-01, 08:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

quote:<HR>Originally posted by Dave99:
I've had a both Adcom and NAD equipment, and both are good, although I preferred NAD a bit. I've kept the NAD (amps) stuff while trading out the Adcom for different stuff (Chiro). I'm now getting rid of the NAD amps (4 of them) to go with a Anthem MCA-5 5 channel amp, mainly to reduce the size of my system a bit. I would like to get the matching Anthem AVP 2 preamp/processor, but the prices are a bit high on that. You could try finding a used Chiro 802 preamp/processor, they go for cheap (relatively speaking) since the parent company is out of business, thats a bit of a risk however. I don't mind buying used on higher end gear as it seems to last much longer than cheap stuff. Just find out whats sounds good on your ears.

Dave
<HR>

I agree with Dave99 about the Anthem seperates. The sound is amazing for the price. I will be buying a MCA-5 shortly. I am holding off on the pre amp for a few months until prices come down, or I can find a decent 6.1 pre amp.

Old 02-02-01, 09:24 PM

I would also check out the Sherbourn 5/1500.It is an outstanding amp for the money.It is a true mono block design with 5 individual transformers and rated at 200 by 5 into 8 ohms and 300 by 5 into 4 ohms and is bridgeable.It can be had for $1300.00.I looked at ATI,Parasound,Anthem,Marantz and Adcom.I found this amp to deliver more for the money and it still impresses me today.
Old 02-03-01, 08:44 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

quote:<HR>Originally posted by brilon:
I would also check out the Sherbourn 5/1500.It is an outstanding amp for the money.It is a true mono block design with 5 individual transformers and rated at 200 by 5 into 8 ohms and 300 by 5 into 4 ohms and is bridgeable.It can be had for $1300.00.I looked at ATI,Parasound,Anthem,Marantz and Adcom.I found this amp to deliver more for the money and it still impresses me today.
<HR>

More window shopping - thanks for the suggestions though (keep 'em coming) - I appreciate it.
Old 02-03-01, 10:07 AM

The AV9000 is great except for one thing: I thought its DACs for 2ch music was nice, but for me, it is not up to par for a $2500(cdn) pre/pro. I had an in-home demo, and it was very close to my Arcam Alpha 7 cd. On the other hand, the Acurus ACT-3 clearly has better DACs, does just as well for movies, but not as flexible. However, the ACT-3 is a little dated now.
Old 02-03-01, 08:38 PM
SS

I agree with 4KRG. Separates are the best. I have a Lexicon DC1 processor with B&W speaks.
I never run out of power. I never have to adjust the volume during a movie. Lexicon is a little pricey though. As is B&W. The other components listed do a good job too. AS with anything you get what you pay for. These high priced recievers do a decent job but they are not for me.
Old 02-05-01, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Where can you find it for 1300? I'm wanting to buy something used, but can't find anything on audiogon or ebay. Audioreview had one, but for 1500. Thanks
Dave
quote:<HR>Originally posted by brilon:
<HR>

Old 02-05-01, 02:27 PM
pmf

For the Sherbourn amps check out the AVSForum shop.

PF
Old 02-05-01, 03:28 PM

I would check the AVScience Forum for their price.They are around $1300.00 for it.For what its worth,the Sherbourn easily beat my Adcom GFA-555 in every way.It is very similar to Bryston as well.
Old 02-05-01, 11:57 PM

I've got a Sony E9000ES preamp and N9000ES amp, they both sound great and Sony is always releasing new firmware for it. I believe the latest is 2.01 which adds 6.1 virtual surround. They can both be found fairly cheap (some one said the amps were going for around 500-600 on ubid). Also, check out www.audioreview.com for reviews on the system.
Old 02-06-01, 06:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks for all the suggestions - the reason I haven't responded in a while is I've been trying to do some research on them and get some idea of what's out there. (And squeezing in a demo or two when I can). Keep 'em coming.
Old 02-06-01, 11:24 PM

Pre/pro:
Acurus ACT-3 ($1,300)
B&K Reference 30 ($1,600)

Amplifiers:
Acurus
Parasound (lots of huge HCA-2200 and HCA-3000 on the used market for dirt cheap, then just plug in a 3-channel of your choice
for a high-end stereo AND high-end home theater setup in one shot).

Old 02-06-01, 11:28 PM

Oops, the B&K is $2,600, not $1,600.

Go with the Acurus, for the best value IMHO.

Check out their gear at:

http://www.mondialdesigns.com/

They also make Aragon gear (a bit more
expensive, but extremely nice gear).

Their site is quite lame, but it is maintained
in-house by one of their engineers.