Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Video Essentials question

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Video Essentials question

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-01, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Okay I have had video essentials for a while now and use it to calibrate my Sony 35" Trinitron (1yr old) The problem is is that everytime I finish with the video settings using the movie mode (it has standard, movie and vidid) the vivid is very bright and looks good the movie was the darkest setting to begin with so I figured I would calibrate that. Everytime im done it almsot looks darker then when I started..is it supposed to look dark? It really looks too dark..

------------------
My System:

Sony 35" Trinitron
Sony DVP-S330 dvd
Yamaha HTR-5240 receiver
KLH L/R
KLH center and rears
KLH powered Sub
Old 02-04-01, 06:29 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Remember that with VE, you're calibrating your screen for viewing in low ambient light conditions. I have used it to calibrate my Wega, and find the picture outstanding for movies, but annoyingly warm for sports. So (surprise) I use the sports mode for the all important hockey viewing .

So, you're right, it will give you a dark picture. If you're trying to watch movies during the day, it may look too dark. For night time viewing though, the difference is amazing.
Old 02-04-01, 07:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

edclem..thanx for the advice..I just figured that watching movies in the dark you would want a brighter screen to compensate. I also know that the controls on my set are different from the ones that they use in the calibration on the disk (well, the names are different) for instance color, hue and picture. In the disk I think they use the contrast and others. I think I get it right becasue it seems to do what it does in their example..

------------------
My System:

Sony 35" Trinitron
Sony DVP-S330 dvd
Yamaha HTR-5240 receiver
KLH L/R
KLH center and rears
KLH powered Sub
Old 02-05-01, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Too bright in a dark room will cause eye strain. Also because factory settings are jacked up so high people think that is normal. After I first calibrated mine it looked too tame but it is actually much more natural looking.

------------------
Jim's HT pics with Mitsubishi 55907, Yamaha 595a, Def Tech BP 2004's, Toshiba 5109, Pioneer LD
Widescreen Presentation
Jim's DVD's
Old 02-06-01, 01:07 PM

I am new to this and was wondering what video essentials actually is. I only have a 27" screen so would this help or is it not worth it. How much is this too?
Old 02-06-01, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Video Essentials is a test disc that allows you to properly calibrate the color, brightness, sharpness, tint, etc. on your TV. Most of the default setting are intentionally incorrect to make the TV appear brighter or sharper on the showroom floor. Adjusting the picture to reference levels will make a noticeable difference, even on a 27" or smaller TV.

The disc also includes instructions on calibrating your audio system as well. The disc takes you through step-by-step with explanations of what you're doing, why you're doing it, and how to do it correctly.

The disc is a little pricey, so if you're not that into calibrating, changing, and maintinaing your setup, I suggest you just rent it.