Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Question about DVD players - DAC?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Question about DVD players - DAC?

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-01, 06:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi, I've always wondered what DA conversion is... does anyone know? How does a better DAC help? I've been eyeing the news about the next wave of Sony dvd players coming out later this year and they have 12 Bit/54 MHz DA conversion just like the really high-end SONY player has right now (DVP-S9000ES). Would this be an improvement over the 10-bit Video DAC with 27 MHz processing that I have now?

Oh yeah.. I don't have HD. unfortunately, my sony 43inch RPTV doesn't do any fancy anamorphic squeezing either... would higher DAC still help, or would I be wasting my money?

Thanks everyone,
dan
Old 02-04-01, 01:59 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I can answer part of your question. I know what DA Conversion(DAC) is. It is Digital-to-Analog Conversion. All of the digital sound and video you get from DVDs all has to be converted back to analog. The DVD's digital video is converted to an analog signal by the player before it is sent to the TV. The sound is also converted back to an analog signal by either the reciever(if you use a digital audio connection) or by the DVD player if you use the analog outputs on it.

I can't really help on if you will see better picture quality if you get a DVD player with a better video DAC. I know the DA converter when it has to do with sound matters. You will find that a really cheap CD player using it's DAC may not sound all that impressive. But if you hook it up to a really good reciever with an optical connection, the sound will be MUCH better and alot more alive.

In general, higher bitrate and higher clock rate(MHz) will speed the processing up and can help quality, but as to how much.....I don't know.

I didn't get too technical but if anyone finds something wrong with what I said, feel free to correct me.

------------------
This is some good f***in ham.