Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Best Side/Main Speakers under $300

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Best Side/Main Speakers under $300

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-01, 01:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am interested in getting a decent pair of speakers for my HT system. I have a Sw15 sub, a AR center channel (dont remmeber the model), and I have Klipsch Quintet rear speakers. I have a HK AVR 510 receiver, and a 36" Wega. My current side speakers are a set of generic panasonic speakers that dont match up to the quality of my other components. So I am looking to spend around $300 to get a good set. i've looked at auction sites and http://www.accessories4less.com but cant seem to decide.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Old 01-31-01, 12:38 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Wow...it's time you choose a set manufacturer and stick with it. $300 is a decent chunk to start out with and you definitely have the opportunity to go quality, but with all the mis matched center/surrounds it's hard to suggest anything. Nothing is really going to match up in your current system. Go local and look into speakers like Klipsch and AR and see which you like better by them selves. AR will give a MUCH better front soundstage, but Klipsch are going to give better front to rear effects. Now I know why no one posted, this is a tough question...

I'd demo demo demo and then pick one manufacturer and stick with it. Here's some of my favs: Paradigm, Monitor Audio, NHT, Gallo, Energy.
Old 01-31-01, 01:26 AM

you are right about the curry of manufacturers.. to summarize the mix currently consists of ..

Acoustic Research Center Channel
Audio Source Subwoofer
Klipsch Rear Channel

I'm not sure what the right side speaker choice would be ..
would I be better off going with the same brand as my center channel?
or would I be better off going with the same brand as my rear channel?
or .. the sub?
Old 01-31-01, 09:53 AM

quote:<HR>Originally posted by nabster:
I'm not sure what the right side speaker choice would be ..
would I be better off going with the same brand as my center channel?
or would I be better off going with the same brand as my rear channel?
<HR>

The best thing to do is to timbre match the center channel. The rears do not necessarily need to be timbre matched with the front three speakers but it does present a somewhat more enveloping sound when all the speakers are matched. I really need the exact model number of the center in order to suggest a set of fronts that would match it. For $300 you should be able to get a nice set of AR fronts.

[This message has been edited by ZenDog (edited January 31, 2001).]

[This message has been edited by ZenDog (edited January 31, 2001).]
Old 01-31-01, 10:16 AM

I looked up the model # for my Center Channel. It is : Acoustic Research 2-WAY CENTER CHANNEL - C225PS

Thanks for your help!!

[This message has been edited by nabster (edited January 31, 2001).]
Old 01-31-01, 02:27 PM

Well the model you listed is part of Acoustic Researches lower line of speakers. If the center sounds fine to you and you are not looking to upgrade that as well then stick with that line of AR speakers. The best set you can get in that line of AR speakers is the AR-318PS which are floor standing speakers. These will run you around $275 for the pair. The speakers are a 3-way design with an 8" Woofer, 5" Midrange, and 1" Polycarbonate Horn-Loaded Tweeter. I have never heard this line of speakers before so I really can't comment on them. If you want to try a whole new front set then simply post a reply with a price limit and requirements. Hope this helps a bit.
Old 01-31-01, 02:34 PM

Yeah I realized that my center speakers were pretty low end while looking up the model # .. but I guess I dont want to box myself into the low end set of fronts due to the quality of my Center. Because undoubtedly, that WILL be the next upgrade I will be making. It all depends on how the raises go this april

Anyways, with that said .. I dont want to end up buying a set of lower end fronts when I am going to upgrade my center soon enough. I was looking at a couple models:
AR-11-BLK
AR-302-BLK

But am not limited to those ... do you have any other suggestions?

Old 01-31-01, 04:41 PM

Allright so lets get this straight now. You want a new set of fronts for around $300 and you will eventually replace the center and then the rears?

If this is the case then you do not need to limit yourself to any speaker brand since you will eventually be upgrading. For $300 you could definately do better with another brand. Set me straight and I'd be happy to help some more. Also include any constraints or preferences on the fronts (size, power handling, components used, etc).
Old 02-01-01, 12:18 AM

Ok, I wanted to wait till I got home to answer your question because now I can walk around and look at each component and get the exact model information. Ive been meaning to put this list together for a while. Largely to maintain a track of what I've got (for easy reference anytime anybody asks; I can just come on DVDTalk and do a search).

No better time than now Here goes

The components:
CD: Sony CDP-CX210
TV: Sony Wega KV36FS12
DVD: Panasonic C220
VCR: Panasonic VHQ-750
Cassette: Denon DRW-50

Rears: Klipsch Quintet 2.0
Center: Acoustic Research C225PS
Fronts: Panasonic SB-AV210(soon to be replaced)
Sub: AudioSource SW15
<hr>

The plan:
Here is what I have in mind/am planning .. I would like to building a solid/respectable system that I can keep for a long time. Something that will eventually take its place in a living room or a bedroom, and make room for a very high end system in the basement.

Usage/Preference:
I mainly use my HT for DVD's, and second on the list would be to listen to CD's (Hip-hop / R&B). I like it loud, and a large part of my satisfaction comes from the base (probably explains why I got such a powerful sub for the size of the room that I currently have it in)

ZenDog, thank you very much for your help on this! I owe you one (the next good deal/coupon I find will come your way)

Old 02-01-01, 03:08 AM

Well for your budget I would take a look at the Paradigm line.

Their Mini Monitors list at $339 but you could get the price down. But you would have to add stands.

If that's too much then you can try the Titans. They list for $220.

The Monitor series is better. It's a good modest speaker. I bought them and a friend jumped into HT after hearing mind and bought them too. Bass is mediocre but tight. It is a bookshelf speaker after all. Since you have a sub it doesn't matter much.

Don't take my word for it. Find a dealer at www.paradigm.ca and take a listen for yourself. Do a search for reviews. It's a real good value.
Old 02-01-01, 12:52 PM

I would also look at some NHT SuperOne (plain or XU models). List for over $300, but you can get them online for under $275 (I did!)
Old 02-01-01, 12:53 PM

I would also look at some NHT SuperOne (plain or XU models). List for over $300, but you can get them online for under $275 (I did!)