Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Ordering Your TV online?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Ordering Your TV online?

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-01, 04:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Has anyone ordered their TV online? What condition did it come in? I'm thinking about ordering a 27 inch Wega.
Old 01-28-01, 04:55 PM

I actually ordered my 27' wega online. I did it through jcpenny.com and it came in good condition. Good meaning no better condition then the boxes at bestbuy or any other B&M. If you are getting a really good prices online, try pricematching it at Sears so you don't have to worry about the shipping.
Old 01-28-01, 05:25 PM
X
Administrator

Received 154 Likes on 124 Posts
Got one from 800.com. It arrived in perfect shape since it came by a trucking company, not UPS.
Old 01-28-01, 05:29 PM

Well, every B&M store I've went to have been sold out of the KV27FS12 and are on backorder. I was thinking of getting it for $600 shipped (no great deal). One problem I have is that the TV box won't fit in my car or most anyone else I know. I'd have to take the TV out of the box and then collapse the box and put them in my car.

If I do happen to buy it at a B&M store... how well packaged are the Wega 27 inch TVs? Could I just open the box and easily take the TV out or is there a lot of packaging?
Old 01-28-01, 05:35 PM

I ordered my 35" Sony Trinitron from Amazon - came on a truck and 2 guys carried it in and put it where I wanted - that alone made shopping online for a TV worth it...
Old 01-29-01, 08:06 AM
AW

I have ordered several televisions from SoundCity (Joe at ext. 708). Always delivered in good shape and they generally have extremely good pricing on Sony's.

I ordered once from Outpost.com and the set came in a box that was falling apart with missing packing material. The case was cracked and the set had a receipt from the unfortunate previous purchaser who must have returned the set for the same reason. Then they acted like they were doing me a favor not making me pay to ship the set back.

So, it probably depends on where you get the set from. Stay away from Outpost, though.
Old 01-29-01, 04:12 PM

I purchased my 27" Wega at a local B&M, and the box was small enough to put in my customized van without taking out any seats. The box was pretty easy to carry, and was well-packed (not much packing other than the usual styro frame). However, once the set came out of the box, it was VERY awkward to pick up (no handles or anything to grab).

I consult with a computer consulting company, and we have monitors shipped all the time. I don't remember any that were damaged by UPS or FedEx. Granted, even big monitors are not quite as big as a 27" TV, but some are close.

Btw, I'm very happy with the Wega. With very little calibrating with Avia, it produces a GREAT picture.

------------------
Scott
--------------
Hi, I'm Scott, and I'm an HT addict.
Old 01-29-01, 05:11 PM

How long did it take you guys to receive it?

I was going to order it from TheGoodGuys.com, but it just went out of stock :-( They had the KV27FS12 Sony Wega for $600 shipped.
Old 01-29-01, 07:06 PM

I ordered a 43" sony RPTV from amazon. They had free shipping at the time and no sales tax..It arrived via a shipping company who delivered it, carried it upstairs for me and unboxed it.