Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Harman/Kardon

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-01, 10:04 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm probably about to purchase a Harman/Kardon Full HT System from Circuit City for $699.

The receiver is the AVR110 + it comes with a seemingly very nice surround speaker set (4 + center + 100watt sub).

Here's a link to the receiver on Amazon - http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000051SDQ/qid=980391741/sr=1-9/ref=sc_e_9/107-9378188-7150928

If anyone knows any problems with Harman/Kardon products, or specifically this receiver, please let me know before I spent my money.

Or if you have any other suggestions for around the same price ($699 for all), please let me know.

Thanks in advance,
Jon
Old 01-25-01, 01:52 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm kinda disappointed with my H/K receiver (AVR 35, cost me $699 CDN). It's only about 50 watts per channel, not DTS, not as loud as I would like it, limited sound choices and some other small beefs. It's a long story why I ended up with this one and I don't want to get into it. But if I had the choice to have this one or the Pioneer I was looking at when I got this, I'd go for the Pioneer.

My friend has a cheaper JVC receiver and it sounds much better than mine. I'll probably sell my speakers and receiver to my parents or brother and buy a whole new set after Halloween. Not that you care.
Old 01-25-01, 12:04 PM

I have the avr85 and it is great.
Old 01-25-01, 12:19 PM

If you are looking for a good reciever with speakers for about $699, i would reccomend CC's Kenwood. I have one of these set-ups, and for the money they are well worth it, I think that Kenwoods sound is better than H/K. It is 100 watts/channel. Check out the kenwood HBT503. Kenwood has strong clear sound and I think you would be happier with the performance of this model rather than the H/K you are thinking about.
Old 01-26-01, 05:08 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I have heard all the raves about HK, and trested a few out..and uh..I must be missing something. They didn't amaze me.

I think they LOOK good.
Old 01-26-01, 09:46 AM

www.audioreview.com should answer some of your concerns.

The H/K receivers use very good components and generally sound great. Of course audio is subjective, so you must listen for yourself.

If you have speakers that are difficult to drive, then the H/K tends to have a great amp section for that. I've seen test reports of $2000 kenwood receivers that are rated for 100x5 watts that were only doing 50x5. H/K amps tend to put out more power then they are rated for. Not an issue, to get sound that is twice as loud as 50 watts would required 500 watts. The vast majority of people listen at less then 1 watt of power, the extra power is a reserve for peaks. With a good powered sub output power is not an issue unless you listen at extrememly loud volumes.

H/K doesn't have a lot of frills, just great sound quality. You may be able to buy another receiver and speaker package for about the same price which you like better.

Some other brands to check out would be Onkyo, Yamaha, Dennon, Marantz.