Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

DVD-Only Widescreen HDTV?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

DVD-Only Widescreen HDTV?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-01, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer Emeritus

Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts
Looking for a 50"-60" widescreen HDTV for my soon-to-be-completed basement home theater. I will be using this monitor exclusively for DVDs (no cable or satellite hookup whatsoever). With that in mind, what features do I need and what features don't I need? What's the cheapest way to get the finest possible picture in my scenario? Any specific TV recommendations?

My system consists of the Denon 5800 receiver, Atlantic Technology 270s, and a to-be-determined prog. scan DVD player.
Old 01-25-01, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What's your budget?

I have a Mits. 55087 55" HDTV ($2600) and I think it is just an awesome TV. I use a Mits. DD6000 pro-scan DVD and the picture is incredible.

If it is for DVDs only have you considered a front projector and a screen?

------------------
I am the one who calls himself I AM!
Old 01-25-01, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer Emeritus

Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts
quote:<HR>Originally posted by palebluedot:
What's your budget?

If it is for DVDs only have you considered a front projector and a screen?

<HR>

I prefer rear projection. My budget peaks at 4 grand. Thanks for the recommendation. I'll check it out. Any others?

[This message has been edited by Cujo13 (edited January 25, 2001).]
Old 01-25-01, 06:29 PM

You can get a lot of the 55"-65" RPTVs for under $4K. The Toshiba 56H80 or the 65H80 (65H80 is assuming you could go a little over 60") can both be had for that price. The Mitsubishi 55807,55857,55907 are in your price range along with the 65" Mits models.

Make sure you get a progressive scan DVD player. The Toshiba 6200 runs $500-$600, Pioneer DV37 $600+, Sony 9000ES $1000+. If you can wait a few weeks the Denon 2800 prog scan player looks like a winner, should be in the $700 range.
Old 01-25-01, 09:03 PM
X
Administrator

Received 154 Likes on 124 Posts
If you want to think about this a little bit differently, and you don't have a progressive player yet, you could get a Pioneer 510HD (53") for about $4700 and you would not need a progressive DVD player. The Pioneer line doubler is that good. You would have a great set for all sources you might want in the future and you could add a progressive player when you are feeling like you have money to burn.
Old 01-26-01, 12:13 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Consider the Pioneer SD582 58" HDTV. It is exactly the same HDTV as the Elite except for the Line Doubler, Screen, cabinet, and one added BNC input for the Elite. If you already have or are going to get a Progressive Scan DVD player then the lesser line doubler of the SD line does not matter and HD is identical from one line to the other. Others will argue that the Elite has the finer pitch screen (.52 compared to .72) and looks better because of it but they fail to mention the fact that the human eye can not resolve a difference from 4 feet or further from the screen! Now of course if you sit less then four feet from the TV that's another question. Of course if you watch a lot on Interlaced TV then the Elite's superior line doubler makes a difference but since you are only watching DVD's (and I'm sure HDTV when you can) then the SD line is a better choice! You can get the 58" SD for around $3800.

------------------
------------------
My DVD/LD List
My Home Theater Equipment