Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Problem with newly purchased TW40H80...any suggestions?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Problem with newly purchased TW40H80...any suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-01, 08:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi all,

I just recently purchased the Toshiba 40in widescreen TV from BestBuy. The problem is that when I attempted to change the video input to DVD, the source does not change to the lock feature of the V-Chip. In other words, it is locked and asks me for the PIN number.

Thus, my problem is twofold:
1) Does anyone know how to RESET the TV to factory defaults in order to reset the lock? (I can't call toshiba until tomorrow)

2) Does this mean my TV is not new; and I should exchange it for a new one regardless of whether I get the V-chip lock fixed?

Thanks for your suggestions!

PS...The BestBuy people would not stop bugging me about the 4-year service plan because I did not want it. Anyone have a good reason for me to get it? or not?
Old 01-23-01, 05:08 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I dont know the solution to your problem, but if you cant find help here, you may want to look at the TV Forum over at www.hometheaterforum.com. A lot of people over there have this set or similar ones, and can probably help.

Also, I assume you mean you have the 40H80. The TW40H80 is a model that is a few years old, and is non-digital (no high def, and not progressive). Sort of confusing since last years high def progressive model was the TW40X81.

Brian
Old 01-23-01, 09:41 AM

From page 35 of the user's manual:

"If you cannot remember the PIN code you have stored, while you are in the PIN code entering mode, press the RECALL button four times within five seconds. The PIN code you stored will be released (factory reset status restored).

When all else fails, read the manual!
Old 01-23-01, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I recently bought a 55" widescreen from Mitsubishi and ended up getting the warranty. I remember when I started in retail years ago these things were basically pure profit which meant they weren't really very good investments for the consumer. But I had to reconsider when purchasing a $4000. The extended warranty was 5 years (or 4 years additional) for $250. So I figure if anything happens it would surely be $250 and if not I'll call them in year 5 and complain about a crappy picture and get a tune-up at least.

------------------
Mitsubishi 55907, Yamaha 595a, Def Tech BP 2004's, plus center channel and surrounds, Toshiba 5109, Pioneer LD
Widescreen Presentation
Jim's DVD's
Old 01-23-01, 02:17 PM

Thanks for all of the posts!!

The recall button worked for resetting the PIN code (I swear I read the manual twice before posting)...also, Toshiba customer service was very helpful

Take care!