Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

I'm a newbie, PLEASE help... how do I set up my receiver?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

I'm a newbie, PLEASE help... how do I set up my receiver?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-01, 02:43 AM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First of all, let me start out by saying that I don't know much at all about receivers and such, so if I sound stupid, sorry. I bought my first receiver last night, a Harmon Kardon AVR 110.

I looked in the manual on how to hook things up, and I hooked up the DVD player to the designated DVD audio/video inputs in the back of the receiver. My question is, how do I hook up the receiver to the TV? Do I need an additional set of those red, yellow, and white audio/video wires? How do I get it so I can get the sound coming from the speakers from the DVD player, the TV, etc.?

I'd appreciate any help, thanks in advance.
Old 01-18-01, 07:42 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

There is an output (actually several outputs) on the back of the receiver which will be labelled "Monitor" or "TV". You can either use the RCA plug and connect that with a yellow RCA cable to the Video input of your TV. Or you can use the S-Video output and use an S-video cable to connect that to the S-video input on your TV (assuming you have one). Generally, the S-video connection is of higher quality than the RCA one (sometimes called composite video).

Good luck!
Old 01-18-01, 03:50 PM

Congrats on the receiver! John's advice is solid, but if DVD is the only S-video device going into the TV, then I recommend hooking the DVD video straight into the TV and just running the DVD audio into the receiver. Why have extra processing noise if you don't need it?

If your TV has audio outputs, use RCA cables (with the red and white plugs) and run those from the TV sound output to the receiver "monitor" or "tv" audio inputs, and you can hear the TV audio over your receiver in pro-logic. I really like it for sports events.

Post back with any questions - we were all newbies once. [cliche]The only stupid question is the one not asked.[/cliche]