Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

5 disc carousel dvd w/ progressive scan?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

5 disc carousel dvd w/ progressive scan?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-01, 03:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Are there any 5 disc (or more) dvd players with progressive scan available yet? Thanks in advance!
Old 01-14-01, 04:30 PM
Banned

To me personally, a DVD changer is useless because approximately, how many movies do an average person view within a day? maybe one or two, it's not like listening to music when you can change CD's every few minutes whenever you choose to hear a different artist.
Watching a movie is completely different when an average movie is one hour and a half- 2 or more hours at the most, so a 5 disc changer is a waste, unless you are going to be watching movies 24 hours a day to get any use out of it. but to each it's own.
Old 01-14-01, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

The only multi-disc progressive scan player I know of is the Sony DVPCX850D 200-Disc changer. You can pick it up for under $500 but I am not sure how good it is. Here are some reviews... http://www.audioreview.com/reviews/D...uct_4932.shtml

------------------
I am the one who calls himself I AM!
Old 01-15-01, 12:10 AM

SINGLE104,
As I'm sure somebody else in the forum can attest to, a multi-disc DVD player does have a use. And that use is...
Tada! As a multi-disc CD player. Big shocker, I know. Just imagine someone who doesn't have that 5-disc CD changer, and is looking to get a new DVD player. Well, why get one of each, when you can get a 5-disc DVD changer to kill two stones with one bird.

Anyway, with the recent CES news all over the web, I'm starting to wonder why there aren't that many multi-disc DVD-Audio players. Seems pretty obvious that people who have been used to their old CD changers would want a DVD-Audio player that also is a changer... Ah well, whatever. Who am I to make sense?
Old 01-15-01, 06:57 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

SINGLE104, while I don't own one, I have given some thought to buying one of the players with 200 - 500 disc capacity. The key benefits as I see them are: a) I can put my DVD cases in storage to save space; b) I don't have to turn up the lights to find the side with the widescreen or unedited version.

On the downside: if someone steals the dvd player, they also have all of your discs. When I don't know what I want to watch, I usually flip thru the cases to jog my memory. And some dics have the extras on the B side.
Old 01-15-01, 11:50 AM

I don't know of a 5 disc dvd player, but I'm pretty sure the Toshiba models have two disc trays. I own a 3109 (2 tray model) and I've never watched two movies in a row (without getting up), though I will admit it's nice to be able to switch between two movies whenever I want.

The 200 disc sony model at $500 is actually a pretty good deal if you don't mind a bad interface.

If your'e thinking about using the 5 disc dvd player as your main cd player also, you may consider that 5 disc cd players with digital outputs can be bought for about $100. If the diffrence between a progresive scan dvd player that you like versus a multi disc player is more then this, the seperate cd player may be a much better deal for you.
Old 01-16-01, 11:13 AM
Banned

quote:<HR>Originally posted by El Pollo:
SINGLE104,
As I'm sure somebody else in the forum can attest to, a multi-disc DVD player does have a use. And that use is...
Tada! As a multi-disc CD player. Big shocker, I know. Just imagine someone who doesn't have that 5-disc CD changer, and is looking to get a new DVD player. Well, why get one of each, when you can get a 5-disc DVD changer to kill two stones with one bird.

Anyway, with the recent CES news all over the web, I'm starting to wonder why there aren't that many multi-disc DVD-Audio players. Seems pretty obvious that people who have been used to their old CD changers would want a DVD-Audio player that also is a changer... Ah well, whatever. Who am I to make sense?
<HR>

Yes i understand your point of view, but most consumers probably already have CD changers long prior to the DVD counterpart.
Old 01-16-01, 11:21 AM

Pioneer makes an Elite 5-disc changer with Progressive scan. I don't know the model number.
Old 01-16-01, 02:16 PM

Here's a link to the Pioneer player. I suspect this is currently the best 5-disc progressive player.

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/Pi...22,186,00.html .

Hopefully others will come out to 5-disc progressive players.

------------------
Dave
My DVD List
Old 01-16-01, 05:40 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I bought a 5-Disc DVD changer just for it's secondary role as a 5-Disc CD Changer. While most people probably already have Cd Changers, many of those people might not have CD changers with A) Digital Outputs and B) as good a DAC as some of those available in DVD changers.
Old 01-16-01, 06:13 PM

I recently bought a Toshiba 5 DVD changer and love the changer feature. I can go to Hollywood Video and rent up to 5 DVD's, keep them for 5 days, stick them all in the player, and not have to take them out, until I'm ready to return them.

But then again, I'm lazy!

John
Old 01-17-01, 01:30 PM

It might also be nice to be able to take a component off your stack and lessen your pile of remotes by one.

BTW, I believe there were a few DVD-Audio/Progressive scan changers announced at CES. Read through E-Town's coverage to confirm.
Old 01-17-01, 03:38 PM

I just received the Feb/March edition of Sound&Vision mag and in their new products they show Harman Kardon is releasing a five disc changer with progresive output, hdcd decoding, and mp3 cd's (plays cd-r and cd-rw). Has all the diff. types of video output and has a backlit remote control and allows you to change four discs while one plays.

It's listed as the DVD 50. For the MSRP of $650, it looks very intresting.
Old 01-17-01, 07:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

quote:<HR>Originally posted by daledude:
Harman Kardon is releasing a five disc changer with progresive output, hdcd decoding, and mp3 cd's (plays cd-r and cd-rw). Has all the diff. types of video output and has a backlit remote control and allows you to change four discs while one plays.
<HR>

But, will it let the cat out?

------------------
Rainbow Parade Cartoons, anyone?
Old 01-17-01, 08:01 PM

manufacturer link, list as available late winter.

www.harmankardon.com/product.asp?cat=DVD&prod=DVD%2050

Would be perfect if it did dvd-audio.

Old 07-10-01, 07:20 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Any updates to this thread? It's been about 6 months since this was tossed around. I am still looking for just that perfect 5 disk carousel/progressive scan DVD player. Now I hear about this difference between line doubler and 3:2 pulldown. What this is I don't know, but I'd assume I'd want the better of the two.
Old 07-10-01, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by daledude
I don't know of a 5 disc dvd player, but I'm pretty sure the Toshiba models have two disc trays. I own a 3109 (2 tray model) and I've never watched two movies in a row (without getting up), though I will admit it's nice to be able to switch between two movies whenever I want.

The 200 disc sony model at $500 is actually a pretty good deal if you don't mind a bad interface.

If your'e thinking about using the 5 disc dvd player as your main cd player also, you may consider that 5 disc cd players with digital outputs can be bought for about $100. If the diffrence between a progresive scan dvd player that you like versus a multi disc player is more then this, the seperate cd player may be a much better deal for you.
I own the 2200 Toshiba...i love everything but the lack of consistant cd-r support...eh, can't have everything.

The duel disk is perfect for me, disc one always changes, but disk 2 is usually a concert DVD or favorite movie, so i can just turn it one whenever i want.

-pedagogue