Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Basic HDTV-Ready question

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Basic HDTV-Ready question

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-01, 12:57 AM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I own a Sony Wega 36" XBR that everyone seems to really love. And to be frank, I've yet to see a rear projection set that I've liked (I used to test monitors for a living so I'm a bit... picky).

Anyway, I'm wondering when a set that will at least equal the height of my existing set my be available and for under $5k. Guesses?

Also, does HDTV-Ready just mean that you need to later buy the decoder?
Old 01-15-01, 06:49 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

If by "height" you mean the height of a widescreen movie on your 36in, any of the current directview 34in sets (most are in the $3-$4k range) will give you a slightly larger image. But if you mean a widescreen image that is a tall as 4:3 images on your 36in, that's a different story.
Old 01-15-01, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

quote:<HR>Also, does HDTV-Ready just mean that you need to later buy the decoder?[/B]<HR>

Essentially yes - although manufacturers are getting a bit loose with the terminology, so do your homework before buying.
Old 01-16-01, 09:53 PM
Cool New Member

quote:<HR>Originally posted by audrey:
But if you mean a widescreen image that is a tall as 4:3 images on your 36in, that's a different story.
<HR>

That's exactly what I meant. Sony's "34" inch HDTV is significantly shorter, top to bottom, than my existing 36" 4x3 so I really don't want to go "backwards". I'd be willing to equal that and essentially just add the width you get from widescreen.

For the time being all I care about is getting DVD's in widescreen. HDTV I'll worry about when there's a real need. To many other issues at the moment (DirecTV, Tivo, cost, etc.)

What's out there that I should look at that isn't rear projection and under $5k? Such an animal (along with being as tall as my 36").
Old 01-16-01, 09:55 PM
Cool New Member

quote:<HR>Originally posted by DigIt:
Also, does HDTV-Ready just mean that you need to later buy the decoder?
<HR>

Essentially yes - although manufacturers are getting a bit loose with the terminology, so do your homework before buying.[/B]
Yeah, suddenly I've seen "HDTV-Ready" claims all over the place and figured it couldn't be that simple. Even saw one for $999 and thought, "NO WAY".
Old 01-16-01, 10:23 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

there was a post awhile back about a 40in Sony HDTV widescreen (which should be about the same height as your 36 in 4:3). Not sure about the price, but i'm sure it's expensive.

I traded from a 36in to a 34in hdtv, widescreen and don't regret it at all. a) i watch mostly dvd's in widescreen; b) the image is both crisper and more involving than on my old sony 36 (non xbr); c) widescreen moves are bigger on a 24in widescreen than on a 36in 4:3 set; d) there weren't any larger directviews at the time of purchase.

To go larger than 34in on a budget, you will have to consider RPTV. It's as simple as that.
Old 01-17-01, 09:16 AM
pmf

The most current issue of Sound & Vision magazine has a DTV section and at the end of it there's a page with a list of all existing HDTV from different manufacturers/prices, etc.

PF
Old 01-17-01, 11:09 AM
Cool New Member

quote:<HR>Originally posted by pmf:
The most current issue of Sound & Vision magazine has a DTV section and at the end of it there's a page with a list of all existing HDTV from different manufacturers/prices, etc.

PF
<HR>

Excellent, thanks. I'll try and pick that up. And thanks to the previous poster on the comparison between the 36" Wega and 34" HDTV. I may just re-think this yet again.